64 bit warnings now with Mojave

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: 64 bit warnings now with Mojave

Post by SubJunk »

Yes, we are interested in updating them. The tricky one there is mencoder since I'm not sure if there are any recent statically-compiled builds of that. We may need to compile that ourselves.
You could help us by looking for 64-bit versions of those files :)
endymion

Post by endymion »

I only stream compatible files without any transcoding, so will those 32 bit files just not load and everything else will operate fine or will they inhibit the app from opening and functioning otherwise. If 64 bit versions cannot be added in time, it would be a good idea to detect and skip them on app open.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As this is an artificial limitation imposed by Apple, there's no way for anybody else to predict exactly what will happen. Most likely things will work fine as long as those transcoding engines aren't used, but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple completely blocked running "unclean" applications either.
endymion

Post by endymion »

Well, one would think the programmers have some idea how they implemented things and could have some idea as to what might happen. One of them could also be running the public beta. Either way we'll find out come release day within the next few weeks. It just important to know before upgrading since you can't downgrade back too easily, aside from time machine. I figure since the app itself is 64 bit and they likely only call these other executables when needed that there probably won't be any issues aside from those features not working. Just looking to hear some confirmation from a developer so I can upgrade safely… or not.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I am a developer, and I used to be a UMS developer. The point is that this has nothing to do with how UMS does things, it's entirely dependent on how Apple choose to "enforce" the 32-bit ban. If they just remove the support for running 32-bit code in the kernel, UMS should work fine as long as none of the 32-bit transcoding engines are used. But, Apple do a lot of strange things, so it's not that hard to imagine that they could block the whole application if 32-bit executables are found within the "bundle".

I just don't get why anybody would voluntarily install an "upgrade" that will disable loads and loads of existing software, so I can't say I would want to invest time into "investigating" this. But then again, I still use Windows XP and Windows 7.
endymion

Post by endymion »

So I installed MacOS Catalina as a guest OS in VMWare Fusion and Universal Media Server 9.0.1 opens, connects to my Blu-ray player and streamed a compatible mp4 just fine.

So, it does look like if you don't rely on mplayer, mencoder or flac transcoding you may not have any issues.

Also, if you're still concerned or have other apps that are 32-bit only you could install and keep MacOS Mojave as a VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop guest OS before you upgrade to Catalina so you have a backup plan for running any ancient 32-bit only apps.
hmahaffey

Post by hmahaffey »

endymion wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:19 pm So I installed MacOS Catalina as a guest OS in VMWare Fusion and Universal Media Server 9.0.1 opens, connects to my Blu-ray player and streamed a compatible mp4 just fine.

So, it does look like if you don't rely on mplayer, mencoder or flac transcoding you may not have any issues.

Also, if you're still concerned or have other apps that are 32-bit only you could install and keep MacOS Mojave as a VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop guest OS before you upgrade to Catalina so you have a backup plan for running any ancient 32-bit only apps.
So this is sounding a little more promising... I use UMS to stream .mkv and .mp4 files from my Mac Mini to my home theater over my wired network. Can you tell me if any of these offending transcoders (mplayer, mencoder or flac) are involved? I'm pretty new at this stuff, sorry...

The idea of running Mojave in a VMWare Fusion VM is simply brilliant! Thanks!

:)hal;
endymion

Post by endymion »

In UMS, go to Transcoding Settings and then in the first section on the left "Common Transcode Settings", under Misc settings, add "mp4,mkv" to the "Skip transcoding for the following extensions" field. Not sure if you need to restart it for that, but it won't hurt. Then if the videos you want to play continue to stream over fine, then you should be good. It all really depends on what your destination device supports natively. With mine I have to re-encode the file first to convert Dolby Digital+ to Dolby Digital or other compatible format so i'm never real time transcoding. I use ff•Works for that which is a GUI front end for ffmpeg. Your device manual should have a section for what it supports. But limiting it as I indicated above will allow you to test it. If the video or audio track is not compatible, your device will let you know in some way. Mine will skip the file if the video is incompatible and show an error when the audio is incompatible but it will play the video silent. So I know to convert at that point if I missed converting ahead of time.

Now it's possible UMS has other transcoding methods that do work, but since I don't use them, I can't speak to that so further testing should be done. I just know that my needs are covered at least after a brief test.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Generally, the flac executable won't ever be used. It's only in use if you play flac to a PS3, to "fool" the PS3 into playing it although it officially doesn't support it.

MPlayer is used for DVD (image or physical disc) playback, MEncoder is mostly used when transcoding video with internal/embedded subtitles. If you don't need any of these things, you should be fine.