64 bit warnings now with Mojave

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jecroft

64 bit warnings now with Mojave

Post by jecroft »

I'm not sure if the developers of UMS are aware yet, but Mojave is warning that UMS won't be supported in the future due to 64 bit support. I'm no coder, besides donations :D what can be done to help support UMS to be converted to 64 bit?
Nadahar

Re: 64 bit warnings now with Mojave

Post by Nadahar »

UMS is already 64 bit since it's made in Java. It works with either 32 bit or 64 bit, it simply depends on what Java version you install. If you install a 64 bit Java, UMS is 64 bit as well. I'd encourage everyone with a 64 bit OS to also use 64 bit Java because 32 bit has some rather problematic restrictions when it comes to memory allocation and file mapping.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for letting us know about this, jecroft. Nadahar is right. If you are getting warnings about that despite using a 64-bit version of Java then it's a bug in Mojave, unless it is detecting 32-bit dependencies we are relying on
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@SubJunk: If we're relying on 32 bit dependencies, that's a problem. What is that - tsMuxeR?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

The macOS binaries we include are at http://universalmediaserver.com/svn/binaries/osx/
Most of them are probably 32-bit

Edit: One time I looked at these binaries (years ago now) there were still a lot of 32-bit Apple users so it wasn't feasible to update them. Now it might be different
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Apple phased out 32 bit hardware in 2007. From what I can see all versions of OS X is 64 bit as long as the CPU is 64 bit. 10.6 was the last version to support 32 bit CPUs, so any version from 10.7 and up is exclusively 64 bit.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I can go through those files and see which need to be updated
bcbomb47

Post by bcbomb47 »

I just updated to 10.14.3 and was prompted by Mojave with the 32bit warning again. How's the progress coming for updating the 32bit binaries?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I saw the warning last month too. I haven't done anything about it though :) if you're interested you could help out by locating newer binaries
hmahaffey

Post by hmahaffey »

Apologies if I'm doing this wrong, but I found my problem here and didn't see a resolution. I installed a tool called "Go64" which scans your binaries looking for 32-bit applications. It lists UMS as 32-bit only because it includes a program called "mencoder" (/Applications/Universal Media Server.app//Contents/Resources/osx/mencoder)

The full message is this:

When reporting an issue, please include this information:
BundleID: net.pms.PMS Version: 9.0.0

These components are 32-bit:
/Contents/Resources/osx/mplayer
/Contents/Resources/osx/mencoder
/Contents/Resources/osx/flac

Any plan for updating these binaries?

Thanks for the great tool!