[Suggestion - Controversial] Cinavia Bypass

If you have a suggestion for a feature, post it here
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

I have no idea if this is possible, and if not I can live without it. I remember several PS3 versions prior to current that PMS was able to bypass Cinavia protection on movies. An update occurred that stopped that bypass. What is the possibility of a new bypass?
Optimus_prime

Re: Cinavia Bypass

Post by Optimus_prime »

Whilst im sure that this is possible, The last time the former (PS3 Media Server) did this they reverted due to not wanting to get the attention of the movie studios (not wanting to be sued, thus letting this great software stopped being developed). Whilst i'm not a developer, i'd think they would be vary wary of re-implementing it again.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

I had a feeling that would come into play. It was definitely worth asking though. You never know any more.
Nabs

Post by Nabs »

lemtargatwing wrote:I have no idea if this is possible, and if not I can live without it. I remember several PS3 versions prior to current that PMS was able to bypass Cinavia protection on movies. An update occurred that stopped that bypass. What is the possibility of a new bypass?
I indirectly raised this. I have been using that version of PS3MS. It has a an Spdif passthrough (see my thread), in my opinion the sound quality for non cinavia material on my system appears cleaner and more clear. I would love a Spid passthrough option even if as an add-on just for the improved sound factor if nothing else.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

I agree with @Optimus_prime, i think the feature being re-implemented doesn't outweigh the morality issue that comes with it.

@Subjunk your thoughts?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Suggestion - Controversial] Cinavia Bypass

Post by SubJunk »

I'm for it being added back and if we get asked to remove it we will. That was my position in PMS too but I was outvoted.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'm all for putting it back in, just don't call it by that name. Great feature but now not needed for me as i use my samsung tv's to render my media
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

The name should be different (audio for enthusiasts or highfidelity audio quality...) and better to be as a plugin?
Already in PMS forum I wrote that when I tested it on regular files (don't have Cinavia scrambled files) the audio quality was better (AC3 was decoded in receiver and not in PS3) I am sure (without any postprocessing).
Audioboxer

Post by Audioboxer »

ExSport wrote:The name should be different (audio for enthusiasts or highfidelity audio quality...) and better to be as a plugin?
Already in PMS forum I wrote that when I tested it on regular files (don't have Cinavia scrambled files) the audio quality was better (AC3 was decoded in receiver and not in PS3) I am sure (without any postprocessing).
This sounds like a smart idea. Asking the receiver to decode the audio isn't really a morally incorrect choice... it just so happens to have a desired side effect for some. We already ask the receiver to process DTS audio, including AC3 is only going one step further.

Any news on progress? :D
ExSport

Post by ExSport »

Check the github or next version:-)