Version 10.15.0 released

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Version 10.15.0 released

Post by SubJunk »

General:

It's time for our first release of the year, and it's one we are really excited about!

I'd like to say a special thanks to Ranger187 who did a lot of testing to help us track down some big bugs and improve support for all devices. We have also had significant code contributions from SurfaceS lately that are very appreciated! I think this is a big step forward for performance and stability, and there's more to come.

This release improves support for all devices but especially those from Roku, TCL, Sony and Samsung, as well as improves the stability and performance of the web interface, and the performance of every action.

Download:

This release is available to all subscribers of our Patreon page.

It will become available on our download page and from our official mirrors when the next release happens.

Changes since 10.14.1:
  • General:
    • Vast speed improvements
    • Added ability to overlay text under the renderer icon (thanks, SurfaceS!)
    • Web interface initially loads 3 seconds faster
    • Fixed network speed detection on Docker
    • Improved communicating changes with devices (like fully played status)
    • Fixed broken file playback, especially with large collections
    • Fixed undefined "Rated" field with some videos on web interface
    • Fixed media not marked as fully played if the file action failed
    • Fixed resume files not being created on the web interface
    • Fixed files marked as stopped when they are still playing on the web interface (#2766)
    • Fixed "not playable" message on web interface (#2258)
  • Renderers:
    • Added detection of more Roku TVs
    • Added detection of Samsung Soundbars
    • Added detection of Sony X Series TVs
    • Added detection of TCL TVs
  • Translation updates via Crowdin:
    • German (100%) (thanks, pipin!)
    • Italian (100%) (thanks, Oscar Zambotti!)
  • Dependencies:
    • Bump checkstyle from 9.2 to 9.2.1
    • Bump h2database from 1.4.197 to 2.0.204 (thanks, SurfaceS!)
    • Bump icu4j from 69.1 to 70.1
    • Bump logback-version from 1.2.9 to 1.2.10
    • Bump maven-site-plugin from 3.9.1 to 3.10.0
    • Bump rome from 1.16.0 to 1.18.0
    • Bump twelvemonkeys-imageio-version from 3.8.0 to 3.8.1

Donate:

If you appreciated this release, please consider donating. We don't do it for the money, but it is nice to offset our expenses.
If you would like your name to be mentioned in our list of supporters, please leave a note with your donation/subscription or message us on here, and we will gladly immortalize your contribution.
pipin

Re: Version 10.15.0 released

Post by pipin »

Thanks for the release.

Just a quick suggestion:
Since you are changing the way of distribution significantly you should have mentioned this in a extra news before.
Regards,
Jens
-----------
Devices used with UMS : - Windows 10 PC, Samsung UE32 F4580SS, Samsung UE48H6600
issafram

Post by issafram »

So this release is only available to people paying for it until the next release is out?
That is shady to say the least.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

pipin wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:24 pm Thanks for the release.

Just a quick suggestion:
Since you are changing the way of distribution significantly you should have mentioned this in a extra news before.
You're welcome :) Yeah we mentioned it in the last announcement too but didn't do a separate one
issafram wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:18 am So this release is only available to people paying for it until the next release is out?
That is shady to say the least.
Thanks for the feedback, why is it shady? It can still be built by anyone for free, and we provide documentation and support for that
redavenger

Post by redavenger »

yeah not too happy with this "paid" version. I'd be happy to pay if for example the issue I raised about fetch tv detection many many months ago was fixed.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

redavenger wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:29 pm yeah not too happy with this "paid" version. I'd be happy to pay if for example the issue I raised about fetch tv detection many many months ago was fixed.
It's not a paid version. You can always build the latest code from source whenever you want.

We have been working hard with users to fix bugs. We can't get to them all at once but we do our best. This version and the next one are full of bugfixes that were important to users and hopefully we can get to the Fetch TV one too, if that hasn't already been fixed in the next release.

The fact is that I pay hundreds of dollars each month to run this project so this is an attempt to offset that expense. I don't think it's bad at all, and it's something I'm seeing more of from other projects as more tools become available to help open source projects in this way.
redavenger

Post by redavenger »

fair enough, no one expect you to be out of pocket, another option might be a "donation" version, where you can pay/donate a small amount for each new version instead of a subscription based model?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Think of it like an early release for Patreons, it will become available to everyone else a little while longer. In fact it has just been published on GitHub and I'd expect it to be announced on here and available via the website very soon.

@Subjunk To avoid confusion it might be a good idea for the future to have in the title of the thread that it is an early release for Patreons and have an ETA on when it will be published for everyone else near the beginning of the post.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for the ideas and support guys. I’ll keep tweaking the format and keep these ideas in mind. There will likely be other benefits to subscribers later on too, this is just the start. Don’t worry though, UMS will always be free, these will just be extras.

The next release is in the pipes now, just waiting for it to propagate to all the download mirrors before announcing it.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Thanks for the credit! And people need to understand the amount of effort put into this project! It takes a lot of time and knowledge etc, so when a release or so is on P, not gonna complain! It's CONSTANTLY updated and maintained. Heck, even I waited for the download able version instead of building it from the fork... Klaus rocks