UMS forgetting settings

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
Panny

UMS forgetting settings

Post by Panny »

Several times now and with different versions of UMS I am greeted with the configuration screen when my PC boots. Basically everything working great one day, next day it is asking me to go through the settings again. Log file of course empty.

Happened maybe six times over the last six months on both Windows 10 and 11. Always have up to date system and Java.

What could be causing UMS to forget its settings? I don't use registry cleaning software or system optimisation software.

Should I keep a copy of the configured C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf file handy and if it happens again just copy back into the ProgramData folder? Any other file I should back up?
mik_s

Re: UMS forgetting settings

Post by mik_s »

There should be a logfile there if UMS is running. The only thing I can think of is something is preventing UMS to save data into C:\ProgramData\UMS\ ,maybe the permissions are not correct on your system.
Are you running any antivirus that may have directory protections on?

Next time you restart UMS have a look in the Logs tab tab and try and copy what is displayed on startup and post on here. If you can try to switch log level to trace asap from the dropdown box at the bottom and set filter to trace at the top.

If you wanted to back up the settings you should also backup the database too. Basically make a copy of the whole directory but is better to try and fix this. If settings are not being saved then the database will not be working either.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Panny

Post by Panny »

Thanks, debug log attached if it helps. I removed the shared folders, set it to trace and restarted UMS (deleted previous log). Absolutely no other issues with UMS.

Could be the Antivirus (Bitdefender), but would then expect it to happen more frequently, or at least when updating UMS. Just happens randomly.

Just an annoyance, so don't spend too much time on it. If the reason is obvious, great, otherwise leave it.
Attachments
debug.log
(183.7 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can't see anything that would make it forget settings with a quick look though your log.

If it does happen again maybe try a full uninstall and install with clean settings and that might fix things.

I can't think of any other cause besides another program changing the contents in the ProgramData directory.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Panny

Post by Panny »

Recent clean install of whole system with Windows 11 and UMS in December. Happened twice since then, and as mentioned several times with Windows 10 before. Thankfully not an everyday occurrence.

Thanks for looking into this.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Same problem here with one of the latest versions (don't know if this was introduced in 10.15 or one version earlier).
Several times my UMS configuration has been reset now. Obviously a complete new UMS.CONF is created by the program when the problem occurs.

I created a workaround: a logon script that copies a correct UMS.CONF file at every logon to overwrite the UMS.CONF file in \ProgramData\UMS.
This way I can avoid this issue, but it should indeed be solved in the software.

Thanks
bassj18

Post by bassj18 »

yep this keep happen to me as well... not sure nvidia pick it up or something ele happen but this need fix hate it keep forget my setting and stuff !
Attachments
debug.log
(42.55 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
jhonmartin692

Post by jhonmartin692 »

Panny wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:24 pm Several times now and with different versions of UMS I am greeted with the configuration screen when my PC boots. Basically everything working great one day, next day it is asking me to go through the settings again. Log file of course empty.

Happened maybe six times over the last six months on both Windows 10 and 11. Always have up to date system and Java.

What could be causing UMS to forget its settings? I don't use registry cleaning software or system optimisation software.

Should I keep a copy of the configured C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf file handy and if it happens again just copy back into the ProgramData folder? Any other file I should back up?
UMS only forgets its settings if the configuration file is either accidentally deleted or moved to another location. :arrow: :)
hwertz

Post by hwertz »

I'm seeing the same thing on my parent's system. Ubuntu 20.04 (edit: and, presently, UMS 10.19.0 but this has been ongoing.)
So yes, it does (sometimes) ditch the settings without the config file being moved or deleted, and no it's not antivirus or other Windows-style issues doing it. I will point out, on my computer (where I have not lost settings) I start UMS myself, and I stop UMS myself. On this one it starts on startup, and the computer is simply shut down. I strongly suspect having the system be shut down (instead of a clean shutdown of UMS, then system shutdown) is causing it, but I haven't looked into it further.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We are about to release 10.21.0 with a possible fix for this. Please let us know if it works.