Using VLC for Fire TV as renderer hold by Amazon Fire TV unable to hold 1080p

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Trebly

Using VLC for Fire TV as renderer hold by Amazon Fire TV unable to hold 1080p

Post by Trebly »

Hi,

I try to build a local streaming for video, photo and audio using UMS.

To send the stream to a TV Samsung UE40F6650 I have two ways installed :
1- The smarthub of the TV which sees UMS by the ethernet connections (conf = Samsung-CD.conf).
2- Select a FreeBox Player (using entry selection HDMI1 viewed as FreeboxPlayer.conf) and the 'disk' function of the player which shows UMS server
3- A Amazon Fire TV Basic edition (another entry HDMI3 - ) on which VLC Android is installed.

I have several problems to solve, but here my question is about rendering with the Amazon Fire TV + VLC
It is seen as "Google-android.conf" :

- The video (.mov) 1080p are displayed with constant broken stream 1s visible for 5s loading (capacity of transmission + treatment seems like 1.5Mbit/s)
- The photo jpeg 5472x3648 (Canon EOS70D) cannot be displayed : sometimes displays an error (cannot be displayed on this device) sometime goes back to the icons after searching a while (15s).

This seems to say that Amazon Fire TV is not supported by UMS because there is no Config File available.
Or that VLC for Fire TV does not function.

Can you help me to clarify these points ?
and to tell me how to get the right renderers.conf ?
and tell me how the right renderers configuration are associated with the right players (capabilities). ?

I have not found these informations into the documentation.

Best regards
Trebly
Husker

Re: Using VLC for Fire TV as renderer hold by Amazon Fire TV unable to hold 1080p

Post by Husker »

Hi Trebly,

I've almost the same setup like you (bit older Samung TV). I'm pretty new to the config hell of UMS. But it seems that the generic Android config or Chromecast matches first, so UMS will take that one.
What I've done so far, I just moved the Google configs out of the directory. In my case the VLC on Desktop config is used afterwards. And that one works very well (subtitles, audio ...).

In detail, I'm getting the following two (?) User Agents in UMS log:

Code: Select all

Dalvik/2.1.0 (Linux; U; Android 7.1.2; AFTMM Build/NS6281)
Linux/4.4.120+, UPnP/1.0, Portable SDK for UPnP devices/1.6.19
Since the config selection is working with regular expressions:

Dalvik\/\d\.\d+.\d+ \(Linux; U; Android \d\.\d\.\d; AFTMM Build\/[A-Z0-9]+\)
Linux\/\d\.\d+.\d+\+{0,1}, UPnP\/\d\.\d, Portable SDK for UPnP devices\/1\.\d\.\d{1,2}
In additon, the Amazon-FireTVStick-VimuPlayer.conf has obviously the same problem and solves this with:

# Loading priority is set to 2 to give priority to this configuration and
# override the "Google-Android.conf" and the ""Google-Android-Chromecast.conf"
LoadingPriority = 2
I think the same is necessary for FireTV + VLC.

So far,
Husker
Husker

Re: Using VLC for Fire TV as renderer hold by Amazon Fire TV unable to hold 1080p

Post by Husker »

Short update, I've played around with a separate config (attached).
It's not perfect since I don't understand all config settings and what codecs are supported by VLC on Android / FireTV. Anyway I think it's a good point to start.
And what I forgot yesterday, check your WiFi Settings (IEEE 802.11b, g or n option). I had a similiar issue with souces >= 720p.
Attachments
Amazon-FireTVStick-VLC.conf
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 400 times