Vizio Smart TVs

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
Ranger187

Re: Vizio Smart TVs

Post by Ranger187 »

Am I supposed to be using UMSbuilder? I wiped my server last week and I'm still using v3.3.0. I'm assuming I should be using UMS Builder.

I'll try tomorrow.

Tonight while using 3.3.0 with the base config (I forgot to remove all the stuff and add) it froze going into /transcode folders or ANY folder for that matter. With cache enabled. I need to check this after I get some sleep.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Here's the results of v3.4.0 testing.

1. I used the test file you posted in this thread because the stock one with all builds = NO BUENO. (VizioSmartTV-test.conf was used). I am including the test file again in the zip so you can review it.

2. If I went into /transcode here's the results:
2a. 13 = played with "no encoding" INSTANTLY!
2b. 28 = played with "no encoding" INSTANTLY but I received "video not supported" but the audio played.
2c. All other options in the /transcoding did NOT play/start the file at all on my tv.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(18.98 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

You did something wrong. I see in the debug.log that you have disabled all renderes so the VizioSmartTV-test.conf was not used. Please check the selected renderers and test again. And don't forget before testing set the log level to trace.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Odd, only the vizio test was used otherwise it couldn't serve the file to the TV in the first place. I think I renamed the Vizio test file to just vizio... I'll verify in the morning.

I will try it tomorrow. I slipped on ice taking pics for the local new channel and I'm a whiny girl atm with a boo boo.. We are getting slammed with snow so in the AM I'll be stuck in the house with nothing to do. Thanks for the reply!
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Oddly this time with the same conf file it played but took forever. It's like it searched for other media players when I hit play. It would pause for minutes....

It played 28 and 13 under the transcode folder but I'm just in a rush and won't have time to test it until tonight or tomorrow.

Let me know anything I should change/check/do for when I am free... Thanks!
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(101.73 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
skipjack

Post by skipjack »

Hi All... I just blew through this lengthy thread and didn't see anyone else mention my problem... so, forgive me if I missed it...

I have a Vizio E320i-A2 that seemed to work mostly fine, that is until I updated my UMS. It would play some video files and give me codec errors on others. I never really had a chance to troubleshoot what worked and what didn't. Since updating my UMS, it now will simply crash whenever I even try to browse media files. As soon as I try to open a folder that contains any media in it, the screen goes blank and the white power light goes on and the TV just sits there. I can't even attempt to play media. It's frustrating to troubleshoot because I have to reboot the TV every time it crashes and, well, it's not the fastest booting TV.

I've even experimented with an iMediashare app on my iPhone with the same results. So I'm beginning to wonder if it's the TV rather than UMS... unless the latest UMS updated changed some network setting.

Anyone else have a crashing Vizio?
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Skip,

If you use the test file we provided here, you'll be alright but Vizio uses a special way to handle reading the files. For the most part as long as you don't have .mkv or .avi (DIVX) in the folder it doesn't cause any issues. We ALL have the loading/latency issue with our Vizio's. I swear they are just temperamental but for the price we pay, this is the only drawback I've noticed.

I went and purchased this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _slim.html

And used industrial velcro to hide it in the back of the TV since mine is wall mounted and all the wires go into the wall. Using ANY USB external drive it plays everything effortlessly. If you wanted to be crafty, you could get the WD one that has wifi and you'll be able to push to it from your computer so you'll never need to unplug it from the tv.

I personally unplug it, and copy new movies/shows to it every few weeks or just stream from my router or use UMS for the rest via my PS3. The tv as a whole is still shaky and the only product out is TvMobili (http://www.tvmobili.com/) that works with Vizio but the one troll on here won't do anything but spam/advertise about it and won't provide us with any info.

I've already gotten it to work with Sony Blurays (previously they didn't work) so I'm sure we will figure out the Vizio issue. It seems to be a matter of TV processing power and/or real time reading of file size/info.
skipjack

Post by skipjack »

Thanks Ranger!

I'll try the .conf file.. and experiment with my file types. I tried using a WD 120GB external drive I had laying around.. but it didn't recognize it. I was able to use a cheap little SD card reader without a hitch last night playing .mp4's, though. So, that's my workaround for now.

THanks again.
Ranger187

Post by Ranger187 »

Tonight after doing the "back door" approach I finally was firmware update from v1.06.10.1310 to v1.09.42.1498 and ANYONE with the horrible remote issues in the M series will love this! I was pointing it sideways and it works. The remote is now WIFI enabled. And once the 1.25 firmware is pushed out, we willl have professional picture settings added.

I will now test everything again with the new firmware and report back tomorrow.

To force the firmware update for the M series:

Code: Select all

Turn my set off.
Unplug it from power
Hold down the power button on the TV for 30 seconds
Turn it back on and do the service check.
Then turn it off for an hour.
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

Good Job Ranger!

please post up your findings!