Unable to open UMS panel

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
dln949

Re: Unable to open UMS panel

Post by dln949 »

SubJunk, thank you very much.

Sadly, this does not work, I still have the exact same problem, I cannot open up the UMS panel from either the tray nor from the panel.

I have attached the debug log file to this post. (The file is over 5 MB, so it is split into two attachments.)

(Also, using this new 10.17.2 version it asked me to "upgrade" to version 10.17.1. Very confusing. I chose not to download that.)
debug1.log
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
debug1.log
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 232 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The errors have been fixed so that was one definite bug but I have no idea why the GUI is not opening. It may be something used by Linux that needs updating on your system but I know little about using it. There has been work to support newer versions of Java (17 I think) so maybe the problem lies there, see if updating openjdk fixes it.

There is one thing I noticed in your logs is that your shared folders are the UMS program folder and your home directory, it might be better to just share your media folder so only they are scanned and not all of your files.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ah it's a shame that wasn't the bug. I can't see anything else in the logs to explain it.

Can you please try older versions from https://sourceforge.net/projects/unimediaserver/files/ and let us know the first version that doesn't open?
dln949

Post by dln949 »

I now have java version 17.0.2 installed.

The latest version of UMS that does NOT have the problem is version 10.4.1. Version 10.5.0 is the first version that introduces this problem.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Ok thanks, I'm looking at the code changes now.
I noticed you're using an old version of MediaInfo, I doubt that is the problem but it would probably be good to update it, since we test with the latest version.

Edit: In 10.5.0 we downgraded our bundled Java version (we don't use the version on your system) from 15 to 8, because one of our dependencies needs v8. It's possible that your system or some protection software was set up with permissions for the old folder (jre15) but not the new one (jre8)

Edit 2: you can also try removing the "jre8" folder from the UMS directory, and UMS should then use your system Java, which might have the right permissions/allowances set. Worth a try
dln949

Post by dln949 »

I am now at version 21.09 of MediaInfo.

When I install version 17.0.1 of UMS and leave the jre8 directory undisturbed, then I have the problem that I cannot display the UMS panel.

When I install version 17.0.1 of UMS and change the name of the jre8 directory, then I am able to open the UMS panel. However - The status tab on the UMS panel appears empty, but that status tab is NOT empty when I run version 10.4.1 of UMS.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That seems to support the idea that it's something to do with Java permissions. Are you able to install JRE 8 globally, and remove/rename the UMS jre8 folder? That way UMS will use your global JRE 8

Another angle to try if you're interested is to see if UMS 9.5.0 works, since that was using Java 8 too.
dln949

Post by dln949 »

I looked in Ubuntu's Synaptic package manager. According to that, this is what is already installed:

openjdk-8-jdk
openjdk-11-jdk
openjdk-17-jdk

openjdk-8-jdk-headless
openjdk-11-jdk-headless
openjdk-17-jdk-headless

openjdk-8-jre
openjdk-11-jre
openjdk-17-jre

openjdk-8-jre-headless
openjdk-11-jre-headless
openjdk-17-jre-headless

I do not know/recall how/why all those versions are installed, nor do I know which applications that I have installed depend on which version of openjdk. (I know for sure I have at least one application that depends on version 11). And, I am by no means an expert in understanding all that stuff. But, the way it looks to me, I already have java JRE version 8 installed - Am I reading this correctly? And if I am, then does that mean that the theory about a lack of java JRE version 8 being the problem is not what the problem is? For, as I wrote above, with java JRE version 8 installed,
When I install version 17.0.1 of UMS and leave the jre8 directory undisturbed, then I have the problem that I cannot display the UMS panel.

When I install version 17.0.1 of UMS and change the name of the jre8 directory, then I am able to open the UMS panel. However - The status tab on the UMS panel appears empty, but that status tab is NOT empty when I run version 10.4.1 of UMS.
But, it is very possible that I'm thinking wrong about all this.

I did uninstall all the version 11 and 17 versions of java, so only version 8 remained. I then ran UMS 17.0.1, both with the UMS jre8 folder and without, but in both cases I still had the original problem that I could not display the UMS panel at all.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I think it depends on the value of JAVA_HOME.
Maybe you can try UMS v11, since that one relies on JRE 17?