[Solved] UMS is damaged and cant be opened

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
beard runner

Re: UMS is damaged and cant be opened

Post by beard runner »

endymion you genius!

sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app worked!

Thank you very much. And it sees PS4 ok....

I am now back to my original problem which led me to delete and reinstall UMS......My files are on an external drive. So when selecting folders to share within UMS, I navigate --HD/volumes/....
But once selected volumes there is nothing visible and the window seems distorted. Please see the attache screenshot. Does yours appear like this? So I cant any deeper than selcting my volume 'Backupemp'. Before Monterey I could navigate further into the volume.

MAny thnanks for your help... :D
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 03.55.48.png
Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 03.55.48.png (335.67 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

beard runner wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:57 pm sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app worked!
I suggested setting the attributes early on, and from what I understood you claimed to have already tried it and that it didn't work.
endymion

Post by endymion »

When I go to my Volumes folder, a security alert appears.
external.png
external.png (102.09 KiB) Viewed 2432 times
I hit OK and after some spinup delay my external drives appeared.

If you don't see that, you may have previously accidentally clicked Don't Allow.

You can go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Privacy --> Files and Folders

Scroll to find Universal Media Server and if it displays Removable Volumes unchecked. Check it.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

There has been some really great help in this topic, thanks everyone involved!

I just wanted to add that Apple has a help page about this which includes a Monterey section, here's what they say:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/m ... h40616/mac

Hopefully Apple will make better decisions around supporting open source apps in the future. I don't see any indication of that but I can only be hopeful.
Yiprock Harissa

Post by Yiprock Harissa »

endymion wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:40 am Also, if you're still seeing notes that the app is damaged, try opening the terminal and typing:

sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app

or

sudo xattr -cr (and then drag the app into the terminal window to complete the path if stored elsewhere)

Then enter your password when asked and try opening the app again.
This allowed me to run 11.11.11.1-pre 10.15 on High Sierra (please don't judge).
Thank you!