Set up instructions

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
xcglkjsg5twp3oj

Re: Set up instructions

Post by xcglkjsg5twp3oj »

Those instructions weren't helpful at all, to be honest. This program has been an absolute disappointment when it comes to ease of use.

I want to cast media from my PC to my PS3. My PS3 is detected, but every time I double-click on my PS3 I get the following window:

Then, when I click on SonyPlaystation3conf I get the following window:

Which program opens those conf files?

How do I get this working?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know what you're trying to do, why do you doubleclick "SonyPlaystation3conf"? I assume, like Windows, that it means that you want to edit the file, and thus you must tell Windows which editor you want to use.

That isn't necessary to use UMS from your PS3 though. Instead, enter the "audio" or "video" menu in the PS3, and you should find UMS. From there, you can browse and play your shared content. The UMS GUI is just meant for configuring UMS, you don't play media from there. You do that from the playback device.
xcglkjsg5twp3oj

Post by xcglkjsg5twp3oj »

Nadahar wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 am I don't know what you're trying to do, why do you doubleclick "SonyPlaystation3conf"? I assume, like Windows, that it means that you want to edit the file, and thus you must tell Windows which editor you want to use.

That isn't necessary to use UMS from your PS3 though. Instead, enter the "audio" or "video" menu in the PS3, and you should find UMS. From there, you can browse and play your shared content. The UMS GUI is just meant for configuring UMS, you don't play media from there. You do that from the playback device.
Thanks, I had to search for a while until I figured that out. There is no quick start guide for this, unfortunately. You have to google like crazy to find that out.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

If you know what UPnP AV/DLNA is, it's implied. It's not easy to make a guide for this, as the way you navigate a server varies wildly from renderer to renderer. I do agree that it should be made very clear that you're supposed to navigate your media from the renderer, not via UMS' GUI though.