Docker

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
atamariya

Re: Docker

Post by atamariya »

~/.config/UMS/UMS.conf (Only change network_interface to correspond with the one on host)

Code: Select all

folders = /media
network_interface = wlp2s0

docker pull universalmediaserver/ums
docker run -it -p 5002:5002 -p 9001:9001 -v ~/Music:/media -v ~/.config:/root/.config  --network=host universalmediaserver/ums
I tested today and this works for me. I can browse media on my LG TV. Hope this helps.
FixYourDockerfile

Post by FixYourDockerfile »

Additional bonus:

If you want the UMS webserver, which listens on 9001 by default, to run via HTTPS, do this:

OPTION 1: Generate a self-signed certificate
Run this command:

keytool -genkey -keystore UMS.jks -alias UMS -keyalg RSA -sigalg SHA256withRSA -validity 365000 -keysize 2048 -storepass umsums
Move the resulting UMS.jks file to the profile directory

OPTION 2: Generate a certificate from your own PKI
Generate a certificate signed by your CA and export it as a .p12 PKCS#12 format file [UMS.p12]
Run this command to convert the .p12 PKCS#12 file to a .jks Java keystore format file [UMS.jks]

keytool -importkeystore -deststorepass umsums -destkeystore UMS.jks -srckeystore ums.p12 -srcstoretype PKCS12
NOTE: the filename must be UMS.jks and the password must be umsums
Move UMS.jks to the profile directory
Delete UMS.p12 (optional)

Final steps
Edit UMS.conf and set:

web_https = true
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Would you be interested in helping us document the Docker options? If so I can invite you to https://support.universalmediaserver.com/
Pisweetly

Post by Pisweetly »

I have greatly appreciated the prior posts in this thread. They helped me get UMS working. That said, as an inexperienced linux/docker user I still struggled. I have it working now and thought I'd add my 2 cents in case it helps anyone else.

I'm running this on Raspberry Pi OS lite - 64 bit because I have not been able to find one that works with 32 bit/armhf (https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspi ... 64/images/). The version of UMS I'm using is from https://hub.docker.com/r/mbentley/ums/. I assume most, if not all, of this is also applicable to the main UMS docker image.

The following is the docker compose setup:

version: "2.1"
services:
  universalmediaserver:
    image:  mbentley/ums
    container_name: UMS
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - FOLDER=""
      - FORCE_CHOWN="false" 
      - NETWORK_INTERFACE="" 
      - LOG_LEVEL="" 
      - PORT=5001 
      - SET_MEDIA_PERMISSIONS="false" 
    volumes:
      - /path/to/your/UMS.conf:/opt/ums/UMS.conf
      - /Path/to/your/Media:/Media
    ports:
      - 5001:5001
    restart: unless-stopped
Notes:
  • The UMS.conf file is how you edit your settings since there is no GUI. If you have any network shares consider saving this file where it is accessible so it can be easily modified. @FixYourDockerfile linked to a version of the UMS.conf file with comments earlier in this thread which makes finding and changing settings easy.
  • Make sure to set the Other permission for any media directory to at least Read/Execute.
  • You can add multiple media directories and modify their name (it doesn't have to be /Media as above). Make sure to add /Media (or whatever you've named it) to the Shared Folders setting in the UMS.conf file.
heater19

Post by heater19 »

ok, was able to make some progress by following everybody's suggestions above;

I am now able to browse the video directory and files and it does stream through the web interface on port 9001 on my pc;

But, the PS3 is still not seeing the media server;

a few interesting things I noticed from the logfile:

1) there is a line stating the MulticastReeiverImpl is being initialized on port 1900, is this important for the DLNA function?

2) the multicast joins the network interface: docker0, I'm assuming it is on the proper network interface, otherwise the web page for UMS at port 9001 would not work, although I'm not sure about this;

3) last, but likely not least, there is a renderer found that is identified as Sony Xperia Z/ZL/ZQ/Z1/Z2, i have no Sony Xperia, but i do have a Sony PS3, could the mixup be at this level?
Attachments
_ums_logs(2).txt
(5.84 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
carpler

Post by carpler »

Hello everyone!
I've read everything I could to understand how to install UMS in a docker container, but I couldn't find a simple guide that could be used by someone not as experienced as me.
There is a reference guide (accessible from the main site) at this page, but I think it is not very clearly written for an inexperienced user.
In this thread I found some perhaps more understandable guidance, so I ask here.
It seems to me that using a docker-compose.yml might be the simplest solution.
I compared the docker-compose.yml file proposed by FixYourDockerfile on the first page and the one reported by Pisweetly just above.
From the comparison, I had some doubts.
1) For managing volumes, it seems to me that Pisweetly's syntax is clearer (and correct?). In the first file, I do not understand how the path to the folders in the host system is specified.
2) For the official image there is no need to specify the ports?
3) For 'restart', which option would you choose? "always" or "unless-stopped"?

Could the docker-compose.yml file (valid for the official image) be the following? Could you point me to any errors or changes?

version: '3.7'

services:

universalmediaserver:

image: universalmediaserver/ums
    container_name: UMS
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - UMS_PROFILE=/profile
    volumes:
      - /path/to/your/UMS.conf:/profile
      - /Path/to/your/Media:/media:ro