[Solved] UMS stopped transcoding subtitles

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
nouse

[Solved] UMS stopped transcoding subtitles

Post by nouse »

Dear all,

i didnt recognize when this behaviour changed, but subtitles are not working properly anymore.

Here is what i checked:
- UMS and Java are up to date on my Win10 1909
- VLC plays the file with matching subtitles correctly on my PC, without manually pointing VLC to the subtitle file
- commented out all subtitle settings in my renderer config to make sure that UMS is forced to transcode the subtitles
- in my Samsung tv file browser, the file is listed with an {Unknown Subtitles] tag
- this is what i found in the debug log:

TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.221 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.formats.FormatFactory Matched format ASS to "E:\AKB48\Videos\Test\140812 AKBINGO! ep301 [720p.h265.mini].ass"
TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.225 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource End of analysis for E:\AKB48\Videos\Test
TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.225 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Subtitles "140812 AKBINGO! ep301 [720p.h265.mini].ass" aren't valid for streaming to [TV] Samsung 8 Series (55)

where did i mess up?
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(54.52 KiB) Downloaded 734 times
nouse

Re: UMS stopped transcoding subtitles

Post by nouse »

no one?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

There are so many bugs in the later versions, and most don't seem to get any attention from the devs. There have been many issues reported with subtitles since they made some change to how it's specified in the renderer configuration, and it seems like nobody is listening for and fixing the errors derived from this.

Reading your log, it seems pretty clear that this is what is happening here as well:
TRACE 2020-03-05 00:36:58.220 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource This video has external subtitles that must be transcoded
DEBUG 2020-03-05 00:36:58.220 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 21] net.pms.dlna.DLNAResource Final verdict: "FileX[720p.h265.mini].mp4" will be streamed
So, the logic first determines that the TV can't handle the subtitles and that they must be "burned in" by UMS, and then a few lines later (look at the timestamp, it happens within the same millisecond) it determines that the file will be streamed without transcoding (which is what is meant by "streamed" in UMS' log). My advice is to use older versions until such time that the devs decides to fix the bugs they have created.

Honestly, I don't understand why people keep updating software as long as they are content with the version they have, and that doesn't only apply to UMS. I guess many are brainwashed with all the "security updates" and that not updating will leave you vulnerable, but in reality a very little percentage of updates are actually security related. It might be different for OS'es or "security software", but for normal software the vast majority is just changes that the developers wish to push out for some reason, and it has all gotten muddied into an update process that we're all expected to just accept. For all you know, they can be making the software worse, or do something you don't want it to...
nouse

Post by nouse »

thank you for taking your time.

In this case, the update was recommended by UMS itself, and i remember that in past incarnations of the software it was generally advised to run the newest version.
But i agree, i shouldnt have touched that running system.

My question for you is which version you would recommend to go back? 9.0.1?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I really can't recommend a version since I haven't used UMS since 6.8.0. You'll just have to try until you find one that works well.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi nouse,
Thanks for reporting this, I have created a bug for it on our tracker at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/1939 and it will be worked on soon. We do our best to fix bugs :)
When we have a fix it would be helpful if you can test it, would you be able to do that please?
nouse

Post by nouse »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:35 pm Hi nouse,
Thanks for reporting this, I have created a bug for it on our tracker at https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/1939 and it will be worked on soon. We do our best to fix bugs :)
When we have a fix it would be helpful if you can test it, would you be able to do that please?

Definitely. I have now switched back to 9.0.1, and this has solved my problem.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That's great and it gives us a clue about the cause of it.
Valib has made an attempted fix, can you please try replacing renderers/Samsung-9series.conf in your installation directory with this https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Unive ... eries.conf
valib
Developer

Post by valib »

@ nouse did you try to delete the database to fix it?
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Did you have a chance to test this yet nouse?