[Solved] New iMac....

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
beard runner

[Solved] New iMac....

Post by beard runner »

Hi all :D ,

I hope somebody can please help. I've been using UMS for many years on my iMac to access my library on my PS4. Brilliant. Been able to watch my entire movie collection on my PS4 with no issues. Now that I bought a brand new iMac, I installed UMS on it, but now sees no renderers. Nothing else has has changed, just the new Mac.

I enabled file sharing, and turned off firewall, and vpn, but still nothing. Ive tried my old PS3 but doesn't see that either.

Both my Mac and PS4 are on the same private home network (Virgin Hub)

There is something I must be missing. It was many years ago that initially installed UMS and got it working. I can't remember how or what I did. :?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Phil
mik_s

Re: New iMac....

Post by mik_s »

I know nothing about macs so this is a guess, but the most common reason for when UMS can't find any renderers on a network is that it is using the wrong network interface. It is usually because there is a VPN installed which creates a virtual interface and that can be incorrectly selected as default.

In General Settings tab, under Network Settings (Advanced) select your physical interface in the "Force networking on Interface" drop down.

If that doesn't work we will need logs to be of any more help.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

mik....I could kiss your face!!! Awesome. Thank you. Did the job instantly!!

:D :D :D :D :D
Dan789333

Post by Dan789333 »

mik_s wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 am It is usually because there is a VPN installed which creates a virtual interface
Thanks so much! You helped me as well.

I'm relatively new to having/using a VPN, and yesterday after I restarted my computer UMS wouldn't show up on my TV. Luckily I found this thread and it fixed my problem. I quit UMS, turned off my VPN, re-started UMS and everything was back and running. And now I can turn my VPN back on as well with no problems, and things will be okay until the next time I need to restart my computer (just need to remember to turn off VPN to connect that first time after restarting my iMac).

Thanks so much!
Nadahar

Re: [Solved] New iMac....

Post by Nadahar »

You don't have to turn off the VPN before starting UMS if you instead configure UMS to use a specific network interface. It's only when letting UMS "auto select" (which just means pick the first one that looks viable) that you'll have this problem.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Hey!

Well after a no problems for years, My Norton VPN had a huge update to fix VPN issues, and now UMS won't detect any renderers again. I have tried every option in the 'force' dropdown as attached. As well as disconnected from VPN. Any ideas?

Thanks...
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 22.29.10.png
Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 22.29.10.png (289.45 KiB) Viewed 2200 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Could you post logs? See the section above in red or the link in my sig.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.