Roku Media Player only play or exit with UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
DetectiveKenobi

Re: Roku Media Player only play or exit with UMS

Post by DetectiveKenobi »

So I played a file then I did the voice remote commands to pause, play , and fast forward. None of the buttons worked except the back button to leave the current file.
ums_dbg_2022-01-30-13-48.zip
(193.04 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
eclipsed

Post by eclipsed »

I'm also having the same issue (can't pause, rewind, forward) with Roku Media Player. I'm using UMS version 10.18 and Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Premiere.
DetectiveKenobi

eclipsed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:25 pm I'm also having the same issue (can't pause, rewind, forward) with Roku Media Player. I'm using UMS version 10.18 and Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Premiere.
Yeah the only way to get around it is to use Roku voice commands. I dont have this issue with emby so must be something with UMS.
eclipsed

Post by eclipsed »

DetectiveKenobi wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:30 pm
eclipsed wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:25 pm I'm also having the same issue (can't pause, rewind, forward) with Roku Media Player. I'm using UMS version 10.18 and Roku Streaming Stick+ and Roku Premiere.
Yeah the only way to get around it is to use Roku voice commands. I dont have this issue with emby so must be something with UMS.
Roku Premiere does not have a voice remote. Only pause and play voice commands work with Roku Streaming Stick+ (fast forward, rewind does not work).

I have a Oppo BDP-103 and everything works fine with UMS.

Is this some kind of configuration issue with Roku devices?
DetectiveKenobi

I bought the Roku voice remote pro for my Roku TV. But you can also use the Roku app on Android/Apple TV to do voice commands.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

In v11 we support HLS transcoding. I wonder if it will work with Roku. Please try the attached profile and if it doesn't work, please provide logs
Attachments
Roku-TV-4K.conf
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:11 pm In v11 we support HLS transcoding. I wonder if it will work with Roku. Please try the attached profile and if it doesn't work, please provide logs
I've taken what you've made here and made a custom renderer for my roku. The only way I've managed to get fast forward, pause controls and the like is to force transcoding for all file types. The HLS transcode does work, however for larger video files it does take a long time for the video to load when starting it.
Attachments
Roku4.conf
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

That seems like good progress. How long is "a long time"?
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

SubJunk wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:21 pm That seems like good progress. How long is "a long time"?
Time seems to vary depending on what the video file size is. One series of videos that I have at 1080p with AC3 at 48000Hz 448kbps audio with a file size of around 700MB, the video can take 40-45 seconds to load. On another series of video which is again 1080p with AC3 at 48000Hz 448kbps but with file sizes around 500MB, the video can load in about 10 seconds. Both series are in the mp4 format with just video and sound, no subtitles, and both animated shows. If I don't transcode, the videos start straight away with no delay, but I don't have any pause, fast forward or rewind functions.
TatraT815

Post by TatraT815 »

I've had this issue for a quite a while now, and still have it as of the current version 11.1.0 (Windows 11). I've had a look at the recently posted config files, but they seem to be for Roku 4/Roku TV - I'm using a "Roku 3 (NSP 6-7)", which is the "Roku-Roku3-6-7.conf" file. I made a similar change to the ones described for those other configs, adding HLS to the "TranscodeVideo" option in the Conf file... that is, I changed this from...

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-H264-AAC
to

Code: Select all

TranscodeVideo = HLS-MPEGTS-H264-AAC
...restarted my Roku and UMS, and now seeking and pausing works again (which is really satisfying!). I've attached my updated .conf, in case anyone with the same issue using a Roku 3 device wants to try it without updating the file themselves.
Attachments
Roku-Roku3-6-7.conf
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 216 times