[Solved] UMS is damaged and cant be opened

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: UMS is damaged and cant be opened

Post by Nadahar »

For the 11th time: It's not whether it's 3rd party or not, it's whether the developers have paid Apple to get one of their signing keys to sign the application. Anybody can make software that is signed with an Apple key, you can even make malware that is signed with an Apple key. It just comes down to money. To have a "valid Apple signing key" you have to pay them annually.

If you don't believe me, there's nothing I can do about that. If you try to install older versions of UMS and they are all "corrupt", it should give you a strong "hint" that the problem isn't with the files. Other users use the same files.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Are other users also on OS Monterey?

For the 11th time, Im here asking for help. Clearly you dont want to do that so maybe see if anyone else has the same problem before you keep repeating yourself.

So you are saying Apple won't run UMS because they dont pay Apple? Well why is nobody else having this problem or is it nobody is running Monterey yet?

Im trying to identify the problem here, and you keep saying is because of Apple Gatekeeper protocols, well if thats the case what has everyone else done about that?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

This isn't new with macOS 12 - some parts of it has been there from very early, 10.4 or something like that. But, as far as I remember the problems didn't really start to manifest until 10.13..? Each version since then added more and more restrictions and made it harder and harder to get around. I don't have access to anything later than 10.13, so I can't test workarounds myself.

I think has been pretty clear for a while that Apple's ultimate goal is to make it impossible to get around. If macOS 12 is the version that makes it impossible I have no way to know. I just expect that they have continued the direction to make it harder, and I know that the "error" you get is exactly the same as Gatekeeper has produced for non-signed applications for a long time.

Given that macOS 12 has only been out for a few days, it's not really surprising if there isn't much information available regarding the topic on the Internet yet. So, as I see it, you'd either have to figure out how to get around it yourself, or you have to wait until somebody else does and post the workaround on somewhere.

I'd think that changing the file attributes would have the best chance at working, but as I understood what you wrote before, you've already tried that. Another option might be to build UMS yourself on that computer, I think there's an "exception" to applications built locally, but it would require installation of Xcode, Git, Maven and a whole lot of setup that I'm sure you're not interested in learning or doing.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You could try to disable gatekeeper to make it 100% clear if it is the cause or not.

You can see Gatekeeper's status by running:

Code: Select all

spctl --status
You can disable it with:

sudo spctl --master-disable
You can enable it with:

sudo spctl --master-enable
This is of course provided that macOS 12 still allow you to disable Gatekeeper. If it does, this should be a very easy way to verify if Gatekeeper is the problem, just disable it and try to start UMS.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

To just give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here is one of the new requirements they added in 10.15: https://www.sentinelone.com/blog/maco-n ... y-theater/

Honestly, I just think they game they are playing is a stupid one - they can never protect people from their own stupidity, and all they achieve is making life unbearable for everybody else. Sure, all the big commercial applications can afford dedicated people that work solely on keeping up with Apple's latest tricks, but when it comes to small teams and free software it's just impossible to keep up, in addition to the huge unreasonableness that you actually have to rent a "developer ID" from Apple to be able to sign applications. If an application is signed but not "notarizated", if it is signed with a certificate not issued by Apple, if the certificate is expired etc, you will get different "error" messages, but if it isn't signed at all, they will claim that it is "corrupt".
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

I have already tried that code. Well, there is just one other option, find a different media server!
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sure, that is one solution.
endymion

Post by endymion »

I'm running UMS on Monterey with Intel CPU.

Just to check. I redownloaded the UMS-10.12.0.dmg.

Mounted it and copied Universal Media Server to my apps.

Opening it or right-click-open the first time will show:
first.png
first.png (118.83 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Cancel.

Then right-click-open a 2nd time and you should get:
second.png
second.png (158 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
Click Open and then subsequently it should open fine.

I've only seen damaged screens for when the update downloads from within the UMS app, which hasn't worked in a while on the Mac side. I always need to download it from the site.
endymion

Post by endymion »

Also, if you're still seeing notes that the app is damaged, try opening the terminal and typing:

sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app

or

sudo xattr -cr (and then drag the app into the terminal window to complete the path if stored elsewhere)

Then enter your password when asked and try opening the app again.
endymion

Post by endymion »

Another thing, if you're seeing "allow apps to be downloaded from" with Anywhere selected, it appears you've already modified your system as related here: https://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-a ... atekeeper/ and perhaps it's causing it to act differently than I see where my system is set to "allow apps to be downloaded from" App Store and identified developers when the right-click-open two times method still works on first launch.