[Solved] UMS is damaged and cant be opened

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
beard runner

[Solved] UMS is damaged and cant be opened

Post by beard runner »

Hi,

Ive been having some problems with UMS since I updated it, and my Mac OS to Monterey.

It couldn't find renderers at first but then ran setup wizard again and it found them. :D

Then I realised I couldn't select the folders to share that I usually could, stored on an External HD. I could find the volume as usual, but then it was showing as no folders within it, but clearly are.

I deleted UMS, and re downloaded a new installer disk from UMS site. But now when I try to install UMS my Mac says it damaged and must be moved to the bin.

Now I have no UMS installed at all :cry:

Any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers
Phil
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 15.59.53.png
Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 15.59.53.png (140.9 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Nadahar

Re: UMS is damaged and cant be opened

Post by Nadahar »

It's the same old "Gatekeeper protection" for programs that aren't signed by an Apple key. I don't know what the workaround is in the latest versions of macOS, but it used to be as easy as right-clicking and selecting "open" back in the day.

Search and you shall find, this applies to all software that don't pay Apple money for an "approved key".
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Nope, The old Ctrl Click (right click) and open does not work.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No, I assumed as much. That's why I said that you'd have to search (Google or similar). The problem is generic for your macOS version, and applies to all software that don't pay Apple. The software component that enforces this is called "Gatekeeper" (or at least is was in previous versions), so you should probably include "Gatekeeper" in your search, something like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=macos+m ... workaround

For all I know it might not even be possible to run non Apple "approved" software on the new version, it has been clear for some time that they intend to force all software onto their "App store" so that they can take their cut of all software sold to "their platform". I don't think free and open software is even an afterthought for them, so I wouldn't expect that they'd lift a finger to create a path for non-commercial software.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Thanks for the suggestion. I do of course google. But when my UMS doesn't work my first port of call naturally is UMS forums :roll:

The line command in terminal which allows programs to open from any source does not work either. It really seems to me the file is actually corrupt. Has anyone else has this problem since updating to Monterey ?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I can pretty much guarantee that the file isn't corrupt (to make absolutely sure, just redownload it or download an earlier version). The point is that this is the message Apple uses when a file doesn't have an Apple signature, so I'm 99% sure this is the issue. There's actually no way for macOS to "know" if a file is corrupt on a general basis, I would be extremely surprised if this isn't caused by Gatekeeper.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

I have now downloaded several other disk images including games from independent developers and they all open fine. UMS is the only image that has this problem.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

The issue is not being able to download the image. It downloads, I copy it to Applications, but its then, it won't launch. All this gatekeeper does is prevent you from downloading it. Ive done that.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 09.22.54.png
Screenshot 2021-10-30 at 09.22.54.png (535.45 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry, but that's wrong. Gatekeeper is what prevents your from starting applications. Regarding the "Anywhere" for allowed applications, it's just about where you download them. The requirement for Apple signing still applies.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Whats wrong? The fact I have no problem with other 3rd party disk images apart from UMS? I assure you that is correct