devices can't find UMS DLNA

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
garegin

devices can't find UMS DLNA

Post by garegin »

ums_dbg_2021-11-08-16-18.zip
(47.49 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
I can open the web page from other devices, but can't find it on DLNA client apps either from an iPhone, Samsung TV or VLC on Windows. All devices are on the same subnet.
mik_s

Re: devices can't find UMS DLNA

Post by mik_s »

Check that UMS is using the right network interface. You can force it to use another by selecting it from the Force networking on interface dropdown box under Network settings on the general settings tab.

The one currently being used is

Code: Select all

Using address /10.1.8.28 found on network interface: name:wlan1 (Realtek 8822CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC)
but there is also a wired connection that your devices night be connected to depending on your network setup

Code: Select all

added interface eth26 with associated address /172.19.96.1 supporting multicast to the list of relevant addresses
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
garegin

Post by garegin »

I don't see the networking dropdown in general settings
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (34.83 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Uncheck "hide advanced option" and restart.
garegin

Post by garegin »

thanks. i did. apps on the iphone still don't find it. but when I manually enter the IP and port number of the UMS from a browser, you could see an "unknown renderer" client with the phone's IP. So that means there's some issue with broadcast traffic.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It sounds like multicast isn't getting through. You write that they are on the say subnet, with usually means that there's nothing there to block multicast traffic. The question is what you mean by "same subnet", do you mean the same IP subnet? If so, no routing is involved and the only thing that can block multicast is probably a firewall on the computer running UMS. If there's a router between the computer and the renderers, make sure it doesn't strip multicast traffic (which usually means to make sure that it's running in transparent/bridge/access point mode).
garegin

Post by garegin »

it's wifi. so I don't know what magic the Cisco APs are doing behind the scenes. Is there a direct way I can connect with vlc on windows by opening the address of the UMS
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can run both Kodi and VLC (and probably others) as renderers running on the same (or any other) computer. Both have their issues with UPnP, but I think VLC has gotten better in later versions. Kodi's UPnP support seems to me like it has gotten worse since v16, but it might still work for testing.

You don't need to "connect" with either, just browse for UPnP servers and UMS should pop up.
garegin

Post by garegin »

Yep it's AP blocking multicast traffic. I tried it on ethernet and it works perfectly.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I guess that means that you'll have to try to configure the Cisco(s) differently. It's usually possible to get AP's to run "fully transparent", that is that they pass on all traffic without interfering.