[Resolved] Is it possible to share folders on an external HD that is connected to the laptop with UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jxm416

[Resolved] Is it possible to share folders on an external HD that is connected to the laptop with UMS

Post by jxm416 »

I have a laptop running ubuntu 20.04 LTS that has UMS 10.13.0 and I have an external hard drive connected to the laptop via usb with 200+ gb of movie files. When I go to shared content tab to select which folders on my computer to share I am only able to see my computer folders under /home/.

Is it possible to directly share a folder on my external hard drive or do I need to transfer a file from my external hard drive to a designated shared folder on my internal hard drive every time I wish to view a movie on a different device?

My internal hard drive does not have the space to hold all of the files I would like to have available.

**Update**
The external drive was not visible through UMS gui in /mnt or /media. The solution for me was to do the following in terminal

$mousepad ~/.config/[insert user]/UMS/UMS.conf

in mousepad, in the rows "folders" and "folders_monitored" I added the file path to the external hard drive. saved the UMS.conf file and restarted UMS. The problem was likely do to the method of installation which has ums owned by root instead of by user, but this worked and I can access external hard drive files on other devices.
Last edited by jxm416 on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mik_s

Re: Is it possible to share folders on an external HD that is connected to the laptop with UMS

Post by mik_s »

It should be possible. Just add that drive in the shared content tab
I know very little about linux, but I recently tried Mint on an old laptop and found that drives are not given letters like windows.
Instead they mounted in a directory, I think it was home/media/<drive> and you should be able to share that way.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Re: Is it possible to share folders on an external HD that is connected to the laptop with UMS

Post by Nadahar »

Where drives are mounted vary between systems. I often look under /mnt first.