Unable to open UMS panel

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
dln949

Unable to open UMS panel

Post by dln949 »

UMS 10.17, ubuntu 20.04, java openjdk 11.0.13

I cannot find the UMS debug.log.

Today I upgraded from version 9.???? to 10.17.

Under version 9 all worked perfectly.

Now with version 10.17, I can see that UMS starts, and from a remote computer on the LAN I can access UMS and explore the database just fine, but on the machine running UMS I cannot open up the UMS panel. In the "tray" area there is a black box type icon that I believe is for UMS, but right or left clicking on it does nothing. Also, in the panel is an icon called "net-pms-PMS" which I'm sure is for UMS, but when I try to open it nothing happens - but if I left click on it I see a preview window that is titled "Java Embedded Frame", and clicking on that does nothing.

Why am I having this problem?

How do I access the UMS panel?

Thanks for any help.
mik_s

Re: Unable to open UMS panel

Post by mik_s »

See if you can post the logs. They should be located in C:\ProgramData\UMS

Ideally we might need the trace logs to show why the GUI is not opening but switching to trace mode is harder without access to the GUI.
You could edit the UMS.conf file and search for

Code: Select all

log_level = 
and set it to

log_level = TRACE
Make sure UMS is not running when you make the edits or they will get overridden straight away. The process name is javaw.exe in task manager so you can just kill it before editing UMS.conf
When you run it again it should be in trace mode and you can post the debug.log file here.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
dln949

Post by dln949 »

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

I can't seem to find the log file. As I wrote in my original post, I am running Ubuntu, so the idea of looking in C:\ProgramData\UMS isn't going to work.

Likewise, I won't have a process named javaw.exe.
dln949

Post by dln949 »

mik_s wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:08 am See if you can post the logs. They should be located in C:\ProgramData\UMS

Ideally we might need the trace logs to show why the GUI is not opening but switching to trace mode is harder without access to the GUI.
You could edit the UMS.conf file and search for

log_level = 
and set it to

log_level = TRACE
Make sure UMS is not running when you make the edits or they will get overridden straight away. The process name is javaw.exe in task manager so you can just kill it before editing UMS.conf
When you run it again it should be in trace mode and you can post the debug.log file here.

Ok.... I finally found the debug.log file's location.

I also found the UMS.conf file and set the log level to TRACE, and then started UMS. The resulting debug.log file is attached. I have no idea how to interpret what is in that file, but I do see the word "ERROR" on rows 40 and 859.

Thanks again in advance for any help with this.
debug.log
(104.25 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The log was still in normal mode so does not reveal much, I think it might be something to do with the database from some of the errors but I don't see how that could stop the GUI from opening.

Try editing the UMS.conf again making sure UMS is not running. Make sure it is the one in C:\ProgramData\UMS and post that along with the new logs.
Are you running on Linux? If you are it may be a different folder but will be the same location as the log. (/home/main19/.config/UMS I think going by your logs)
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
dln949

Post by dln949 »

Yes, I am running Linux - Ubuntu, to be specific (I talked about that in two of the above posts).

UMS was definitely not running when I updated the UMS.conf file.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, UMS.conf already has Log_Level = TRACE:

Screenshot from 2022-03-06 19-09-38.png
Screenshot from 2022-03-06 19-09-38.png (46.95 KiB) Viewed 5294 times

The above is a screenshot of /home/main19/Applications/UniversalMediaServer/UMS/UMS.conf

Strangely, I see two UMS.conf files in my home directory, both of which are attached to this post:

1) UMS.conf located in the directory into which I extracted the file I downloaded for version 10.17 of UMS, that directory is /home/main19/Applications/UniversalMediaServer/UMS That file is attached to this post under the filename of UMSconf_in_UMS_extraction_location.conf

2) UMS.conf located in this directory: /home/main19/.config/UMS That file is attached to this post under the filename of UMSconf_in_.config_location.conf

Do you think having these two files is what is causing the problem????? I have no idea how or why there are two files with the name of UMS.conf on my system.

Again, thanks for your help.
UMSconf_in_UMS_extraction_location.conf
(58.29 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
UMSconf_in_.config_location.conf
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I missed that you said you were using Linux :oops:

The UMS.conf file in /home/main19/.config/UMS is the one used for the settings so that is the one you need to edit to add Log_Level = TRACE on to the end.

The one in the UMS directory is used on first run to set up the conf for that user on the computer and has each setting documented while the other one is stripped down to bare minimum to run in each users config.

I have very little experience with Linux but hopefully I can spot something in the trace logs that can narrow down your problem.
dln949

Post by dln949 »

Ok, here is the debug.log file after I had updated the correct UMS.conf file, it is attached to this post.
debug.log
(592.45 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I had a quick look though and can't see any messages about not being able to open the GUI. There are a few things that the devs will have to look at to see what they mean.

I think one of the causes is the difference in versions when you upgraded, there has been a lot of work done on the database and I think something has been missed to upgrade part of it if coming from an earlier version like pre V10.

I'll post an issue on GitHub to have the devs look at it as they have been working on squishing a lot of bugs recently and this might be one of them.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for providing the logs and sorry for the bug! I think I have fixed it, please try https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... x86_64.tgz