[Solved] Detected Media Renderers not showing custom renderers

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Toregev

[Solved] Detected Media Renderers not showing custom renderers

Post by Toregev »

Since UMS 10.16.0 (have tried all the way to the latest I can access 10.19.0) custom renderers do not appear on the Status tab under the Detected Media Renderers.

The log for UMS does detect the custom file and uses it, as I can use UMS from my tv with the custom setup.

If I go back to version 10.15.0 the custom renderer does show again under the Detected Media Renderers on the Status tab.

Any help with rectifying this for newer versions of UMS than 10.15.0 would be appreciated.

Here is an example for my custom renderer for my TV. It's stored on my PC under ProgramData/UMS/renderers
PanasonicHX820B-192.168.1.116.conf
(4.86 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
mik_s

Re: Detected Media Renderers not showing custom renderers

Post by mik_s »

Will need to see trace log files to be of any help. See the section in red above.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

here are trace log files from version 10.15.0 and from 10.19.0
10.15.0 shows a picture and ip address to click on under "Detected Media Renderers" on the status tab
10.19.0 does not show a picture or ip address to click on under "Detected Media Renderers" on the status tab

This is for my custom renderer only. default renderers supplied by UMS do still show on the status tab

I can access UMS from my tv with both versions with no issue.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-04-07-19-52(10.19.0).zip
(46.37 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
ums_dbg_2022-04-07-19-48(10.15.0).zip
(44.98 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I see an error right after renderer detection that could be the cause in V10.19.0 that does not appear in V10.15.0

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2022-04-07 19:50:13.959 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 2] net.pms.network.mediaserver.nettyserver.RequestHandlerV2 Caught exception: null
TRACE 2022-04-07 19:50:13.960 [HTTPv2 Request Worker 2] net.pms.network.mediaserver.nettyserver.RequestHandlerV2 
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.UPNPControl.getURL(UPNPControl.java:339)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.UPNPControl.getAddress(UPNPControl.java:820)
	at net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration.getAddress(RendererConfiguration.java:1565)
	at net.pms.newgui.StatusTab$RendererItem.<init>(StatusTab.java:91)
	at net.pms.newgui.StatusTab.addRenderer(StatusTab.java:388)
	at net.pms.newgui.LooksFrame.addRenderer(LooksFrame.java:791)
	at net.pms.PMS.setRendererFound(PMS.java:202)
	at net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration.resolve(RendererConfiguration.java:687)
	at net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration.getRendererConfigurationByHeaders(RendererConfiguration.java:594)
	at net.pms.configuration.RendererConfiguration.getRendererConfigurationByHeaders(RendererConfiguration.java:586)
	at net.pms.network.mediaserver.nettyserver.RequestHandlerV2.messageReceived(RequestHandlerV2.java:138)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:70)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:564)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:791)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.stream.ChunkedWriteHandler.handleUpstream(ChunkedWriteHandler.java:142)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:564)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$DefaultChannelHandlerContext.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:791)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.http.HttpChunkAggregator.messageReceived(HttpChunkAggregator.java:145)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.handleUpstream(SimpleChannelUpstreamHandler.java:70)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:296)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.frame.FrameDecoder.unfoldAndFireMessageReceived(FrameDecoder.java:459)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.callDecode(ReplayingDecoder.java:536)
	at org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.messageReceived(ReplayingDecoder.java:435)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.sendUpstream(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:559)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:268)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:255)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:88)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.process(AbstractNioWorker.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:337)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.run(AbstractNioWorker.java:89)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:178)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.ThreadRenamingRunnable.run(ThreadRenamingRunnable.java:108)
	at org.jboss.netty.util.internal.DeadLockProofWorker$1.run(DeadLockProofWorker.java:42)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:750)
IIRC there has been some work to improve and update old code to fix some hidden bugs in the network protocols, and I think netty was one of those. It is possible that one bug got missed. It is something the devs will have to look at to make sense of.

Another possibility is some of the settings in your custom conf that may be throwing things off. you have

Device = 192.168.1.116
at the start of your conf but I don't think that is meant to be in there. I have not seen it used before and there is no mention of it in the Defaultrenderer.conf documentation. I could be wrong and that has never been updated but I think it is best to remove it.
Edit: just tried a creating a custom conf from inside UMS and it automatically adds that. I still think you should remove it just in case.

Your custom conf also has the same priority as the Panasonic-Viera.conf so whichever one is loaded first will be used. As both files were included in the logs then both must somehow get used. I think the conf in ProgramData takes priority if it exists but not sure, I personally save my custom confs to the renderers folder UMS's installation directory. Just in case try setting in your conf

LoadingPriority = 2
See if making those changes fixes it for you and if not could you do some more logs with those changes.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

Another possibility is some of the settings in your custom conf that may be throwing things off. you have

Device = 192.168.1.116

at the start of your conf but I don't think that is meant to be in there. I have not seen it used before and there is no mention of it in the Defaultrenderer.conf documentation. I could be wrong and that has never been updated but I think it is best to remove it.
Edit: just tried a creating a custom conf from inside UMS and it automatically adds that. I still think you should remove it just in case.
This means that the custom configuration does not load at all, UMS uses the default Panasonic Viera.conf
Your custom conf also has the same priority as the Panasonic-Viera.conf so whichever one is loaded first will be used. As both files were included in the logs then both must somehow get used. I think the conf in ProgramData takes priority if it exists but not sure, I personally save my custom confs to the renderers folder UMS's installation directory. Just in case try setting in your conf

LoadingPriority = 2
I tried this and my custom conf loads for the tv in the logs, but still does not show on the status tab under Detected media renderers in 10.19.0, it does show in 10.15.0 still.
I personally save my custom confs to the renderers folder UMS's installation directory.
I used to do this ages ago, before I found the button under the renderer on the status tab to "customise this device".

The folders and adding of the "device =" with an IP were all the default places and settings UMS provide when doing this.

I think you're right about the problem being the java null pointer exceptions which seem to happen while trying to read the custom configuration in 10.19.0. 10.15.0 has no issue there.

These are the new trace logs after changing the loading priority.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-04-08-09-05(10.15.0).zip
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
ums_dbg_2022-04-08-09-01(10.19.0).zip
(44.01 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

This is definitely something for the devs to look at, I have no Idea why it is happening. I have created an issue on Github
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

mik_s wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:34 am This is definitely something for the devs to look at, I have no Idea why it is happening. I have created an issue on Github
Thank you for your help with this. Been using UMS since it was the PS3 media server many years ago. This is the first issue I've not been able to figure out by myself.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I did a bit of testing and can replicate this on my system.

The cause is setting the Device = IP in the custom conf, either in ProgramData or the renderers folder.
If no device IP is set in the ProgramData conf then it will not be used, so for the moment the solution is to save your conf to the renderers folder in UMS's installation folder and remove the device IP from it.
Toregev

Post by Toregev »

mik_s wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:28 pm I did a bit of testing and can replicate this on my system.

The cause is setting the Device = IP in the custom conf, either in ProgramData or the renderers folder.
If no device IP is set in the ProgramData conf then it will not be used, so for the moment the solution is to save your conf to the renderers folder in UMS's installation folder and remove the device IP from it.
Thank you for the testing you've done. I'll stick on 10.15.0 for now, hopefully the devs can figure out what is broken.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think the bug has been found and there is a pull request to fix it. I don't know what version it will be included in though.