How i can use UMS without converting the video?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Danichin

How i can use UMS without converting the video?

Post by Danichin »

Hi, i tried watching some videos using UMS but i forgot that my laptop is very old, so when i start a film the CPU goes to 100%, i gave up and switched to some files stored on my laptop and they worked without converting the videos 8or tanscoding) i wanna know if there is a way to transmit the video from UMS to my console (a PS3) without transcoding or converting the videos, they are .mp4. i was able to see one of the mvies without transcoding or converting it (the laptop CPU never reached past 20%) but the the subtitles didn't work.
I wanna transmit the video with subtitles without converting the video.
Thanks in advance.
mik_s

Re: How i can use UMS without converting the video?

Post by mik_s »

UMS will only try to transcode when a a video uses a format that is not supported by the player and these are defined in the renderer .conf files. Sometimes these can be incorrect but the PS3 is well known now and its conf will be accurate.

My guess is that those videos that are transcoding are using h265 which the PS3 cannot play. Transcoding is CPU intensive so is normal for it to be at 100% as it needs to do this as quickly as possible to keep up with the player. It can sometimes take a while to get started as it needs to create a buffer before sending the stream.

Also the PS3 does not support subtitles so to have them shown in a video they have to be 'burned in' which requires transcoding too. There is no way to keep subtitles without converting on the PS3 using stock firmware.

There is another option if you don't mind trying custom firmware. There is a better player called Movian that has support for subtitles, audio tracks and many more formats like mkv. Its main problem is it does not play well with transcoded streams. It will play them but you will not be able to rewind or fast forward as it will just start at the beginning.
The upcoming UMS v11 has HLS support for streaming which should work better as Movian supports HLS, I don't know how well it will work though.

If that is not an option then you can convert your videos into the correct format for PS3 with subtitles burned in using something like Handbrake.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Danichin

Re: How i can use UMS without converting the video?

Post by Danichin »

Thank you very much for your answer, im gonna try handbrake, i don't use CFW, and my laptop turns off automatically if it stats too much time on 100% (anyway i don't wanna it to be at 100%