Getting API information....

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
beard runner

Getting API information....

Post by beard runner »

Hi,

You guys here have always been able to help me when I have a problem, as Im a bit clues when it comes troubleshooting network stuff. UMS has been working fine, but has suddenly gone into "getting API info...." and although UMS appears on my PS4, none f the files show. Getting API info only ever took a couple of seconds, but now gets permenantly froze on the first file it gets to. Ive tried deleted that file thinking it could be corrupt, but it just gets stuck on the next one in the list. I cant QUIT UMS any longer either as it stops responding if I press quit. Force quit is the only way.

I downloaded a new installer but my iMac says its damaged and should be moved to bin. This also occurs when I try to update. Im currently on 10.12.0 UMS and have never been able to upgrade for years due to the damaged error I get. I have a new iMac Running Monterey so dont understand why I cant get to the most current version of UMS.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Phil
mik_s

Re: Getting API information....

Post by mik_s »

The message about the installer being damaged is nonsense.
It is because of the restrictions apple had added to their OS that gives warnings if developers have not paid them to digitally sign their programs. The latest one seems to be the most restrictive and telling you to delete it where in the past it would still run.

There are ways round this but I'm not a mac user and can't remember. It was to do with some settings in the terminal I think.
There was a thread on here about it a few month ago and there are other guides on other websites too.

As for the error you are getting it would be good to see the logs to see what is causing it, see the section in red above. It could be a bug that has been fixed or something completely different.

Edit: You have had the same issue in the past about installing UMS and that was the thread I was thinking about with the solution.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Hi Mik, Thanks a lot for your help. I am a bit clueless to how all this works, so all and any help is much appreciated.

Yes as you can see, I seem to have a persistent problem that always seems to root back to the fact, I need to upgrade to the newest version before attempting any further troubleshooting.
Right click to open does not work, even after several attempts the message remains the same. Even with a newly downloaded installer.
Terminal code of: sudo xattr -cr /Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app does not work either where as it did before.

IF I can just install and upgrade to the latest version, Im sure my freezing of gathering API will be fixed. Im currently stuck on 10.12. Any other ideas?
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 10.20.29.png
Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 10.20.29.png (295.86 KiB) Viewed 4071 times
Cheers
Phil
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Sorry I can't be of any more help as I know nothing about MacOS. I'm not sure is anyone else on the forum is using that version of OS either.

All I can suggest is look to see if other programs have similar problems and see if they have found a way around it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Ok, thanks for your help. I wish I could turn to an alternative way to view my media on PS4, but the pickings are slim.
beard runner

Post by beard runner »

Success!! I can now install the latest UMS version, and its happily scanning my directories right now.

I thought I would share this for any other OSX users.

The terminal command sudo xattr -cr(space) only works if the path is added via dragging from the desktop only. NOT from Applications directory. It seems the gatekeeper is particularly anal with apps in that directory, as even master disable command line will not work if its in Applications folder.

If your path is: sudo xattr -cr /Applications etc....IT will not work. Install the .dmg to the desktop, and from there drag the app into the terminal following: sudo xattr -cr

Thank you for your help mik ! :D
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Glad you got it working. I'll keep this thread in mind if anyone else has problems installing on MacOS.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

This is great, thanks for following up on it!
Also we might end up signing our macOS binaries soon because I have been working on an iOS app that needs signing anyway. So I hope that will make the macOS experience nicer.