Getting Started, Replacing Plex

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
lew_ashby

Getting Started, Replacing Plex

Post by lew_ashby »

So my current setup is all my computers, laptop & desktop are running Linux. I'm currently running Plex on a Terra Master. I'm looking to replace Plex for a few reasons, I have issues getting problems fixed, partly due to the fact that when I log into my Terra Master it shows one version of Plex but when I launch the same Plex server from my Roku TV it lists a completely different version of Plex. Most recently I have lost my ability to pause a movie when watching from my Terra Master/Plex server through my Roku TV, I don't know if the issue is Roku or Plex. The whole reason I got Plex was to play my own DVD ripped movie collection, but when firing up Plex it wants to continue to push itself as another Netflix or Hulu, I have to go through several clicks to get to what I wanted Plex for to begin with. Worst of all, I really don't like the Plex company having read, or especially write access into my movie library, they could potentially pull any trigger. So I'm looking for a replacement. I want something that is simpler than Plex, that isn't trying to advertise itself every time I run it, that's easier to troubleshoot, and that has less control over my media and that I have more control over.

Skip here to get right to it.
I'm looking for a Linux based Media server that I can watch from my TV, and preferably control with my current Roku remote, although if I can't I suppose being able to pull up an HTML front end of the media server/site and select my movies from my phone's (or laptop's) browser is acceptable. So how does UMS work? Can I install it on a headless/guiless Linux OS and have my TV connect to it and display the HTML representation of my media server on screen? If so would I need to connect to an input on the TV or just connect over my network? Thanks, I appreciate any help.