Subtitles problem

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
HSpindel

Subtitles problem

Post by HSpindel »

I am having a problem with subtitles not displaying on a particular MP4 file.

Subtitles work on MP4s I have downloaded using PlayOn Home (a streaming capture program). They do not work if use VideoReDo to convert from a Tivo file to an MP4. I have tried every subtitle setting I can find in ums.conf (and restarted the server after making changes). In both cases the MP4 video plays properly.

The file that does not play subtitles through UMS does play subtitles through Windows Media Player so I know it has subtitles.

I am attaching MediaInfo for two files: Thunderball.txt (which does not work) and Bosch.txt (which does work). I do notice that the text streams are different formats.

Subtitles are ON on my Samsung smart TV.

Appreciate any help!
Attachments
Bosch.txt
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Thunderball.txt
(5.17 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
ums_dbg_2022-06-20-23-10.zip
(427.72 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
HSpindel

Re: Subtitles problem

Post by HSpindel »

The ums.conf file that got zipped up doesn't seem to match my current ums.conf file. I am attaching it.
Attachments
UMS.conf
(60.97 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I could not see exactly the decision making process as the as logs were not in trace mode when it was done, but switches to trace mode later in on.
But from what I can see those videos are being streamed so it is up to your TV to display the subtitles, if it cannot then it will be in a format it cannot understand.

For Bosch it appears to be plain text as a separate stream

Code: Select all

Text #1
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : Timed Text
Muxing mode                              : sbtl
But for Thunderball it is EIA-608 as part of the video stream

Code: Select all

Text
ID                                       : 1-CC1
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
I don't know much about this but I think your TV can only play this format when it is transmitted over the air not over the network, or it may be a custom format used by Tivo.

It may be possible to burn in the subtitles by forcing it to transcode by playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder where there should be an option there if it can detect the subtitles.

The UMS.conf that was included in the zip file was the correct one. The other one is the default settings used when first installed. Any changes to this file will not change your settings. The location of the active UMS.conf is in C:\ProgramData\UMS

It is not recommended to edit this file manually, instead use the GUI. If you do need to though you need to make sure UMS is not running otherwise any changes will be overridden.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
HSpindel

Post by HSpindel »

Thank you for your help!
HSpindel

Post by HSpindel »

In case anyone else is reading this, I wanted to document a solution that worked for me.

I used Video Redo to convert the .tivo file to an .mp4 using the conversion profile called "H.264.MP4 (Universal). Then I used CCExtractor on the MP4 file to create an .srt file with the captions. Lastly, I made sure that Universal Media Server was configured to always load an .srt file of the same name (this is apparently the default setting upon installation).

Universal Media Server now serves my MP4 file with the desired captions.

Thank you to all the developers for a great media server.