Stream all files, no transcoding

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
carmody

Stream all files, no transcoding

Post by carmody »

Hi,

what would be the easiest way to configure a renderer in a way that everything ist just streamed?

Thanks!
rhayy

Re: Stream all files, no transcoding

Post by rhayy »

Hi,

You could write StreamExtensions = * in your renderer configuration file.

You could try ReadyMedia. Its purpose is simply to stream medias. No extra capabilities. It is very lightweight (it only needs 1 CPU, 50MB of RAM, <1GB of storage). One drawback is you have to restart it to detect new medias.
carmody

Post by carmody »

Thanks! Will try both
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Depending on your renderer's capabilities it will most likely not be able to play everything if you force all formats to be streamed.

It is better to find out what exactly is supported by that renderer and put this in the supported formats section in the conf, then is there is any file that cannot natively be played it can be transcoded into a format that will be.

A good way to test if certain formats will be supported is to try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)
If they play then you can add that format into the conf.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
carmody

Post by carmody »

Tbh I use it as a network share from macos for my media player. I had a lot of troubles with nfs ans samba, but this solves all the problems!