Skip forward/back not working for some videos

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
casterle

Skip forward/back not working for some videos

Post by casterle »

Win11 Pro, UMS 11.5.0, LG WebOS TV

For some reason, skipping forward/back does not work on some video files. When I press the 'skip' button on my LG remote, the video skips but then jumps back to where it was.
This doesn't appear to be related to the file type - it works on some .mkv files and fails on others of the same type.

I've attached a trace log which shows skip working and failing.

Can someone suggest how I might fix this?
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-11-23-23-18.zip
(623.22 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
mik_s

Re: Skip forward/back not working for some videos

Post by mik_s »

Not being able to skip forward/back is a side effect of the videos being transcoded so they can be played when they would normally be unsupported on that device. Depending on the method the device uses to request data from a certain time will allow seeking in transcoded videos.

My parents have a similar TV and I was unable to get seeking to work properly but never had much time to try.

From what I can see half of your videos in your logs will be transcoded as they use the audio codec "eac3" which is not listed in the supported formats. I know DTS support was removed from a lot of TVs over licensing but This may be wrong though so try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding" (if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab).

If this plays without any problems then the .conf can be updated.

This is the conf I modified when trying to get transcoding working properly on my parent's TV, I think I had already made that change.
LG-WebOS-modified.conf
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Something else that may help is the HLS support added to UMS, this may work on your TV if you want to give it a try. HLS should overcome the problems with seeking.
LG-WebOS-modified(HLS).conf
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Just copy to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers" and restart UMS. Try the HLS one first to see if it works. If not delete it then try the other one.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
casterle

Post by casterle »

Thank you! I'll give this a play.
casterle

Post by casterle »

I tried using your LG-WebOS-modified.conf, and it worked a treat. Thank you once again.