[Solved] UMS Security based on uuid?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
squadjot

[Solved] UMS Security based on uuid?

Post by squadjot »

I've been playing around with the security options, and it works aslong it's based on IP adresses. ( Also tried Pincode, but never got that working. Seems unstable and not very intuitive to use)

Anyways, filtering devices by IP works as expected, the problem is on my network the devices get new IP's all the time. Therefore i seek a way to do things by uuid.

Let's say i'm on a network in a house with my friends. There's a shit-ton of devices, and all i want to make sure that only i can watch my content.

As far as i can see, one way to do it would be to have only one renderer config that catches ALL devices ( that we presume is "unwanted" devices )

unwanted.conf

Code: Select all

UserAgentSearch=.*
UpnpDetailsSearch=.* 
RendererName=Unwanted
LoadingPriority=1000
folders=;
hide_new_media_folder=true 
hide_recently_played_folder=true
hide_media_library_folder =true
hide_video_settings=true
web_conf=;
Unwanted.conf
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 736 times
This will disable all features, and all renderers using this config will not be able to see any content.

Then i create a uuid based config for each of the devices i want to allow. (Click on the device icon on the Status tab in UMS, and the click the small document in upper right corner to create a conf for that device, based on it's uuid)

I found out that ;
Configs based on uuid must be placed in: C:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers
Configs based on UserAgent must be placed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers
squadjot

Re: UMS Security based on uuid?

Post by squadjot »

Ok made a small guide on how to do whitelist uuid with renderconfigs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MxW ... 3nkPLo/pub

Let me know if anything is unclear
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Solved] UMS Security based on uuid?

Post by SubJunk »

I missed this when you posted it, it's really good. Thanks! I would love to see it built-in to UMS in a more user-friendly way too