Startup without Internet connection

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kilgore

Startup without Internet connection

Post by kilgore »

I'm new here, so first of all: UMS works great with my Philips BluRay-Player and Mac.
Second: Since I can't tell if this is a Mac-specific issue, I post it here too:

There is something I don't quite understand: If not connected to the Internet, it takes about a minute, before UMS even tries to start. Little Snitch tells me UMS wants to connect to "www.spirton.com" and (sooner or later after denying this) to "www.universalmediaserver.com".

Why does that happen even before the actual program starts? The first timestamp in "debug.log" without internet connection is exactly this "minute" later?

If the Mac is connected to the Internet, UMS starts right away, even though both connections were blocked.

So: Is there a way to get rid of this 1-Minute-Delay?
SharkHunter
Developer

Re: Startup without Internet connection

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes from now on UMS tries and fetch variuos information (read plugin info) from the "internet". If you got a WEB.conf file that will also do a lot of reading during startup. We could add a "no internet" config option to simply skip these steps (or move them to a background thread or similar). The trick here is that it will be fairly hard to change the "no internet" flag in runtime so it would probably require a restart of UMS.

Before this is "fixed" you could probably remove the WEB.conf file and I think it at least would go a bit faster.
Also a lot of plugins talk with internet during startup, but that is as it supposed to be. Remove those plugins if you need faster startup.
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

First of all, thanks for the fast response.

I'm sorry for probably having caused some confusion.

It doesn't take a lot of time at all to gather information over the internet, in fact that is not noticeable at all.

It takes a lot of time though for UMS to accept it can't connect to the internet at all.

I'm a bit old-fashioned, so I use PPOE and only start that manually if I want to be in the Internet, no automatic connecting via router or similar. And I'm pretty sure this 1-minute delay on startup is caused by just trying and retrying to connect for this 1 minute.

I'm not sure, but maybe there is some code telling UMS to do so and all that would be needed is a possibility to change the amount of retries or the time for retrying before it accepts it is unable to get an internet connection.

It's not really that bad anyway, I can either just wait this 1 minute or startup UMS with an established Internet-connection which I can very well cut afterwards.

--------------------------
Update:

I'm even more sorry now. I just had to restart the mac anyway and then started UMS without having been on the Internet before - and hey: worked flawlessly without any delay at all.

Must have been some mistake I made with my network settings.

I really hope that doesn't come too late, I've been on the "CODE" pages and it seems you already started to change things...

I really am very, very sorry for having caused this trouble.
kilgore

Post by kilgore »

Update #2:

It were the network settings. I added the ".local"-adress of the mac to the "Search Domains" in the network configuration, and now the delay on startup is gone, no matter whether or not connected to the internet.
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

No worries the functionallity might still be useful for other purposes in the UMS so it can stay. Normally it will be just true anyway so nothing changes really...
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.