[Solved] Samsung Q9 series issues

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Samsung Q9 series issues

Post by Nadahar »

@SubJunk It's a bit of a mess, but UPnP is pretty clear about using GENA for this. I think that the very early DLNA devices (like the PS3) didn't really implement most of UPnP, and basically only used it to find servers. I think this was DLNA 1.0, and I think that's where they invented the "updateid" mechanism, which is clearly flawed as it will cause way to broad "cache invalidation". DLNA 1.5 did a lot of cleanup of early mistakes, and as far as I remember, it redefined the rules for "updateid". DLNA 1.0 and 1.5 is quite different, which is why you will see that nearly all renderers that support DLNA will specify that they support DLNA 1.5.

I can't know for sure that this is how it is, as the history of what happened in these private forums isn't public, but I understand it as if since DLNA 1.5, GENA is supposed to be the "proper" way to do change notification. Most renderers will probably also "respect" changes to the "updateid" for backwards compatibility, but as this becomes ancient history, it's not surprising of the knowledge of the DLNA 1.0 way of doing things fade among those writing newer implementations.

Whether my take on the history of this is right or wrong, there's no doubt that following today's specification, this is supposed to be done via GENA, so I think it's premature to conclude anything about renderers misbehaving as long as GENA isn't implemented.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

Thanks! I will test this tonight and update.
SubJunk wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm Please test this and let me know how it goes: https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... c9a57a.exe
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

So I tested for a few days. It occurred to me that part of the problem might be thumbnail generation. I've attached a picture of the files (three of which I watched last night) that don't have any thumbnail generation; therefore UMS can't make it as watched. All the files in this folder (as pictured) are mp4.
Attachments
IMG_6848.JPG
IMG_6848.JPG (256.9 KiB) Viewed 6361 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

UMS still makes (at least it used to) the "played overlay" on top of the "generic thumbnails", so I don't quite see how that could be a cause.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Is that not a generic thumbnail made by your TV or is it one UMS sends?

Just had a look at your original post and realised we had completely overlooked the fact that the other fully played functions were not working for you like moving or deleting videos. Could you do more testing with those functions and do logs?

As Nadahar says there may be parts of protocol not implemented in UMS to tell the renderer to update its cached thumbnails as older devices would not do it, so the marking as played thumbnail will never get shown unless there is a way of manually deleting them.
When I was about to watch something last night on my PS4 I accidentally dropped the controller and it went onto the recently played option in the media player. It still had all the thumbnails of everything I had watched even though I had deleted those files. There was an option there to clear it but for other devices that option may not be obvious or exist at all.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@mik_s The "generic" thumbnails shown in the screenshot above are made by UMS.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

Okay so here's my plan:

I will do a clean install of UMS; I will test out the 'moving' fully played files and send those logs.

There is something funky going on with the thumbnails - in one directory, there are thumbnails attached to Law & Order files that are clearly Rick & Morty thumbnails.

I'll update later.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

It would be good to get logs for those files that are not generating thumbnails

Edit: Also I am working on adding the ability to send messages to renderers that content has been updated. We support responding to the incoming request but we don't support sending it as it happens.
speckledegg

Post by speckledegg »

So it looks like it's moving the files okay, but some of the files that were moved either weren't fully played, or weren't actually watched. I'm wondering if this is a caching issue? I noticed that this time, thumbnails were generated but were showing as watched even though they hadn't been. Also, we had some extraneous Rick & Morty thumbnails linked to Law & Order files.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2021-08-08-11-22.zip
(454.51 KiB) Downloaded 814 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I can't remember the full details, but the wrong thumbnails showing will be because the IDs of the files are generated when UMS receives a request for the files in a directory. If files are added or removed then the remaining files may receive different IDs. If your TV is caching the thumbnails it will not know that those IDs will be different so ends up displaying the thumbnail that matched that ID the first time.

Does your TV animate thumbnails when you highlight them before playing?
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.