UMS don't recognize LG TV with USB Gigabit network adapter

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Rafik

UMS don't recognize LG TV with USB Gigabit network adapter

Post by Rafik »

Due to poor WiFi performance of my TV (LG C7 OLED) I experience stuttering while watching 4k Blu-ray rips. LAN port is not an option due to 100 Mbit/s limitation. Some movies in my collection exceed that limit in peak bitrate and stuttering is still present. I tried popular trick. I bought USB 3.0 Gigabit LAN adapter. It works for Netflix and Plex but not for UMS. While connected to USB adapter, UMS don't recognize my TV. Is there anyone here who uses such configuration (LG TV with USB network adapter + UMS) with success ? Or maybe there is a way to force UMS to recognize my TV ? Will debug log show anything in this case ?
mik_s

Re: UMS don't recognize LG TV with USB Gigabit network adapter

Post by mik_s »

Is your LAN port on the PC 100Mbit? If so that seems very slow, even my 10+ year old motherboard has 1Gbit LAN and since you have USB 3.0 I would think yours would have that too.

To be able to tell why your TV cannot see UMS I would need to see logs, look at the section in red above.

The stuttering may also be due to UMS transcoding if the conf for your TV is not set up right for that model and may work with streaming instead.
Try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and select "No transcoding". If that works then the conf will need to be updated.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Rafik

Re: UMS don't recognize LG TV with USB Gigabit network adapter

Post by Rafik »

The TV is the one with 100 Mbit/s LAN port :lol: To my knowledge this is the problem with most TVs. Even top models from 2022 like Sony A95K have same shitty LAN. I connected USB network card to my TV to get faster internet connection.

Ok, back to the topic. I updated TV's firmware and it fixed the issue. UMS recognize the TV and works just fine.