Replacement for PS3

Discuss media renderers like Xbox 360, TVs, smartphones, etc.
arthamm

Replacement for PS3

Post by arthamm »

I have been using a PS3 as a renderer for forever and have been very happy with it.  Now my PS3 has died and I need an alternative.  I don't like the way my 2021 LG or 2018 Panasonic TVs work with UMS.  I am looking for advice on what currently available renderers can best meet my needs.  I started looking at Roku Ultra, Fire TV Cube and Apple TV 4K but am open to anything.  Could also consider a DVD/Blue Ray device.  Looking for the below features to work with my AV receiver setup but could consider a change.  

Needs: 
Fast Forward:  Multiple levels 1.5x - 10x for seeking.  Actual FF and not jump forward 6-30 seconds.
  Transcode Friendly:  a significant portion of video needs MEncoder or FFmpeg to seek or even play properly
  Large library Support:  8,000+ video clips/movies 
  HDMI Out:

Wants: 
IR Remote Support:  Love my Harmony and would like to stick to one remote   Frame Search:  PS3 will show the video frames in 1 minute intervals for 5 minutes before and after current location for easy scanning
  Text File Subtitle Support:
  Large Folder Support:  500+ in some folders I am too busy to sort
  Ethernet:
mik_s

Re: Replacement for PS3

Post by mik_s »

I got no specific reconsiderations but you should try and get something that supports as many formats as possible to reduce the need for transcoding. I would say one of the most common formats used these days is h265 so make sure this is supported.

If transcoding is avoided then a lot of renderers should be able to fit your needs, if the video is transcoded then that can limit how it is played or even seeking.

I was using my PS3 slim for a long time for this but did not like the built in player so since I had CFW installed I used a better player called Movian. The only downside was lack of seeking with transcoded video.

I don't think most renderers have a proper fast forward like you want, its more like moving to a specific time in the video. I now use a PS4 but seeking is a pain to do accurately as the time bar moves too fast.

Maybe some android/linux box that runs media player software might be best. I have heard of kodi boxes before which do this but have no experience with them.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.