Using lots of storage space

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
clarbo

Using lots of storage space

Post by clarbo »

hi, i noticed recently that UMS was using almost all of my windows install hard drive space (200gb) i have cleared resume play folder but noticed a file called medias.trace.db that uses 100gb, can this be cleared or deleted please?
mik_s

Re: Using lots of storage space

Post by mik_s »

That is abnormally large. That is the database file used for keeping track of played status and to speed up browsing but it should not get that big, mine is a few hundred mb and I've used UMS daily for years. The total space used by UMS on my system is around 600mb.

I think something must have gone wrong and old data is not being removed when it is no longer needed.
It is safe to just delete the whole database folder after shutting down UMS, and a new one will be created the next time it is run.

Another thing that may take up a lot of space is the log files if you are running logging in trace mode. These are safe to delete too if they are very large.

I see by your past posts that you have had problems in the past and these may have been related to this corrupted database. It might be best to uninstall UMS and reinstall it with the clean install option and this will start from scratch. If you want to keep any of your old settings then you should backup the C:\ProgramData\UMS folder first (excluding the database folder and log files) and copy them back after the install, but might be better to set everything up from scratch if going straight to v12.

Any problems I will need to see full logs to see what is going on, follow the link in my sig on how to do them.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.