Subtitle brightness for OLED HDR

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Leopardi

Subtitle brightness for OLED HDR

Post by Leopardi »

Are there any recommended settings for subtitle brightness for OLED TV's?
Kinda like Netflix has semi-transparency options to prevent subtitles exploding in your face and cause burn in when watching HDR.
Leopardi

Re: Subtitle brightness for OLED HDR

Post by Leopardi »

I see some transparency settings in "common transcode settings" and "color". I guess I have to disable "use embedded style" and then configure these?

But how do I configure it correctly? So many options, HSV, HSL,RGB, CMYK....
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The HSV, HSL,RGB, CMYK are just different ways of selecting a colour, RGB might be all you need. There is a transparency (or alpha on some) option there too.

It might be easier to use the web settings as the colour selector is simplified, all those other options are overkill anyway for subtitles.

And yes you have to uncheck the "use embedded style" for these options to work.

This only applies to transcoded videos with burned in subtitles though.
If the video is streamed then it is up to the device you are playing on to display the subtitles and any settings should be done on there if available.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Leopardi

Post by Leopardi »

mik_s wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:18 am The HSV, HSL,RGB, CMYK are just different ways of selecting a colour, RGB might be all you need. There is a transparency (or alpha on some) option there too.

It might be easier to use the web settings as the colour selector is simplified, all those other options are overkill anyway for subtitles.

And yes you have to uncheck the "use embedded style" for these options to work.

This only applies to transcoded videos with burned in subtitles though.
If the video is streamed then it is up to the device you are playing on to display the subtitles and any settings should be done on there if available.
Interesting, would've thought you can control the subtitle looks from UMS side. Since some subtitle-files have their own styling and colours anyway.

PS3 doesn't seem to offer much subtitles colour settings
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

If you are playing on the PS3 then those options will work as the PS3 does not support subtitles itself so they have to be burned in by transcoding.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There is also the setting "Use font settings (size, color ...)" in Video files engines > FFmpeg Video that might need enabling too