UMS Stopped working externally Win11 post Comcast increase

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
MTOakey

UMS Stopped working externally Win11 post Comcast increase

Post by MTOakey »

Greetings all, once again, after a long hiatus, and using UMS for YEARS flawlessly.
On my machine where UMS has been running without issues for almost 2 years now, I just so happened to INCREASE my Comcast pipe from 100mbps to 400mbps only because the new Plan saves me $15 a month.
Suddenly three of my servers stopped providing EXTERNAL services, but still provide internally at my local 192.168.x.x IP... I have been using Dynu.com for years, and never had a problem, and even their "Port Test" says "Success" when testing the ports for UMS and the others, meaning the ports are Open and communicating/forwarded to my internal 192.168.x.x IP... so my TV sees the UMS server just fine, but when I am outside my "house" I get nothing, Chrome and Edge both say "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET"
All the IP's and Ports are correct, Firewall settings have not been changed by me, not sure if M$ changed them with any recent "Update", but when I look at the Rules, they all look fine.
This is so frustrating. And one of the other Servers that stopped externally is Subsonic. Oddly enough my Abyss web server never stopped...
Any help will be enthusiastically accepted and appreciated.
I have attached the Trace Log zip
ums_dbg.zip
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
“A truth’s initial commotion
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
“The surest barrier to truth is the conviction you already have it.”
MTOakey

Re: Web Interface not available since update to 13.1.0

Post by MTOakey »

NOT SOLVED for me.

Ok, completely uninstalled UMS, downloaded and installed the new 13.2.0
Selected to run App as Administrator, selected Start with Windows, Forced the IP of my machine for port forwarding purposes. External Network is enabled.
Port :9001 opens on startup of UMS showing renderers available.
Port :9002 on my machine shows server results correctly - seems to work fine.
Same machine, same IP that I have used for 8 years now where UMS has worked flawlessly - until 13.1.0, now, UMS server does NOT allow access. "err_connection_reset"
External Port Tools show that PORT IS OPEN.
All other servers work fine and with external access.

*** Please Help ***
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
mik_s

Re: UMS Stopped working externally Win11 post Comcast increase

Post by mik_s »

I have moved this post as this is a separate problem than what was in that thread.

From your first post you say this started to happen after a change in comcast. That is the first thing I would look into if that is the only thing that has changed, especially since your subsonic and the other server have been affected and these has nothing to do with UMS. Maybe they have changed something on the ISP side and are not passing some of the traffic on some ports.

You could also go back a few versions to one that was working fine for you. If this still does not work as you expect then it has to be something to do with your network.

If an older version still works properly but 13.2.0 does not then there could be a bug there, I don't have the knowledge to help you with your setup but updated logs will be needed for the Devs to see what is happening.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
MTOakey

Post by MTOakey »

Thanks,
I'm pretty sure I said "I thought" it could be Comcast, but since ALL 7 OTHER Servers I have running do not/have not experienced this problem, I now assume it is UMS.
Firewall rules are correct, ports forwarded are correct, even tried with the standard out of the box settings from fresh install - still not able to access from external (www.myvideos.net:9002) like before, only from internal (192.168.1.100:9002). (fake urls)
I posted my trace logs and nobody mentioned looking at them or said anything about what they contained... seems like an external file is being called but not responding.
I know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem, question is - why isn't everyone? What is different about the setup of those whose work compared to those of us whose don't work?
MTOakey

Post by MTOakey »

And it must have been just a coincidence that the other two servers hiccups because they are working fine again but UMS remains homebound - no external access.
Something else I remember that was in that time span - Java got updated.
Could the Java update be the culprit?
I will try to reinstall v12 and see if that returns external capability.
I will dump trace logs before and after.