[Tracked] Start with Windows & delayed folder mapping doesn't work

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
JDN165

[Tracked] Start with Windows & delayed folder mapping doesn't work

Post by JDN165 »

I noticed in build 13 that starting UMS with Windows (as configured in my settings) doesn't work with folders being mapped after UMS is started.

In my setup, UMS is always launched at Windows startup and after that my (external) disks (containing the folders shared in UMS as virtual folders) become available by running a script.

Now, in version 13, with the same sequence of UMS launching and the drive mapping, I do see the shared folders while browsing, but they don't contain any files. So for some reason the shared folders are empty.
I had to uncheck the "Start with Windows" check box and create a startup script that first makes my drives available and after that (once the drives are accessible) the script launches UMS. Now the shared folders contain files while browsing. This way I can work around this bug, but I prefer to start UMS together with Windows.

So, in short: when (virtual) shared folder are coming available after UMS has been launched, they show empty when browsing. When the same folders are available before UMS is launched they show their content while browsing UMS. Before build 13 the delayed folder mapping was no problem for UMS.

Can this be solved please?
MTOakey

Re: Start with Windows & delayed folder mapping doesn't work

Post by MTOakey »

Yeah, NO MORE "Start with Windows" in v13 ... just another hiccup not being addressed.
“A truth’s initial commotion
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
“The surest barrier to truth is the conviction you already have it.”
harrymusk1

Post by harrymusk1 »

If you're having issues with delayed folder mapping in Windows, there are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the problem:

Check your network connection: Make sure that your computer is properly connected to the network and that your network connection is stable.

Verify that the server is accessible: Ensure that the server where the shared folder is located is accessible and that you have permission to access the folder.

Check for firewall or antivirus issues: Sometimes, firewall or antivirus software can block access to network resources. Try temporarily disabling any such software to see if it resolves the issue.

Restart the computer: Sometimes, simply restarting the computer can help resolve issues with delayed folder mapping.

Manually map the folder: If none of the above steps work, try manually mapping the folder by opening Windows Explorer and selecting "Map network drive" from the "Computer" tab. Enter the server address and folder name, and follow the prompts to map the folder.
MTOakey

Post by MTOakey »

Clearly OP stated that it all worked PRIOR to v13... THAT makes it a UMS issue, NOT his Network or Computer.
Last edited by MTOakey on Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A truth’s initial commotion
is directly proportional to how deeply the lie of it was believed ...” ~Dresden James
“The surest barrier to truth is the conviction you already have it.”
boss

Post by boss »

You could delay the start of UMS so it loads after your mapping scripts.
This would not be done in UMS but in windows.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Starting UMS after the folders have been mapped is the only solution.
I don't have any issues with the delayed folder mapping itself. It's really UMS that has a problem with folders that are mapped after UMS is launched.
So, I just built a batch file construction using the Task Scheduler that starts UMS a while after logging into the PC. And this works for now.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for reporting this problem, I have created a GitHub issue for it to track progress https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... ssues/3879
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Tracked] Start with Windows & delayed folder mapping doesn't work

Post by SubJunk »

Can you please confirm that the bug exists in 13.0.0? I ask this because I can see a code change in 13.0.1 that might cause the problem.

Either way, please provide logs from a version that works, and a version with the bug. Instructions for that are at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Progress on this is blocked until we can get logs
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Sorry for the delay, but I'm back.
I stayed on version 11.6.0 for a while, but just tried 13.6.0 and experienced still the same issue.

You asked for log files, so here they are attached.
There's a log for version 11.6.0 where browsing my media folders worked fine and a log for version 13.6.0 where my media folders show empty in UMS.

This is what I did before creating the logs (in both versions I did exactly the same action):

UMS started with Windows and my media drives (D: and M:) are assigned after UMS has been launched. I navigated on my DLNA player to a media folder and selected it. In version 11.6.0 the files are showed and can be selected and played. In version 13.6.0 the media folders are visible, but when I select one (the same one as I did in 11.6.0) no media files are visible. When the drives are assigned in 13.6.0 BEFORE UMS is launched, there's no problem.
Conclusion: for me it's not possible in 13.6.0 to start UMS with Windows, but I have to use a construction with login scripts to launch UMS some time after the drives have been assigned.

Hope this information together with the logs will help to solve it.

Thanks.
Attachments
ums_dbg_11.6.0.zip
(154.93 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
ums_dbg_13.6.0.zip
(140.06 KiB) Downloaded 56 times