UMS Program Starter

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
henryfatzke

UMS Program Starter

Post by henryfatzke »

Hello together, i'm running UMS on Kubuntu 22.04 and i'm a noob in UMS as well as on Linux generally.
If i wanna start UMS i have to run the script "/opt/ums/UMS.sh" in a terminal right now.
Is there a way to create a kind of program starter like it is used for example by Firefox to run UMS?
Hope here is a experienced Linux user, who can help me... :) :?:
boss

Re: UMS Program Starter

Post by boss »

Hi,
Attached is the script that I use on my Gentoo Linux Server.

It is in the startup scripts so it loads whenever my server is started although my server runs 24/7.

It may need a little adjustment for Kubuntu Linux.
You could put it in your startup and have it load UMS whenever Kubuntu is started or you could run it manually if you wanted to start it manually.
Attachments
ums.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
henryfatzke

Post by henryfatzke »

Hi boss, sorry for my late reply, its because i broke my system and after long struggle i decided to make a complete new install...
Thanks for the script you attached for me.
Unfortunately, I expressed myself a bit ambiguously on my topic, because my system is a mixture of productive and server operation.
I use it primarily for gaming and if needed, if someone wants to watch films or other media files from our media hard drive at home, I switch on UMS (not 24/7 operation).
So I was thinking more of a program starter (because UMS doesn't have a classic one) so that I can save myself the detour via the terminal.
I'll see if I can make something out of your script, in any case, thanks again for your effort!
Oops I think I found a solution by just making the ums.sh executable. Now I just have to find out how I can link this file to the desktop, or even better to the taskbar! On Windows it's all much easier (at least for me)...
I'll keep your script anyway, who knows what I might need it for in the future, or what I can make useful out of it... Thanks again! :D
boss

Post by boss »

I think it is possible but the first hurdle would be to access the startup file from Windows.
Most likely you would need to have samba running on your Linux server and setup a share.