How to disable web interface

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
pilauda

How to disable web interface

Post by pilauda »

Hello, im using UMS for couple of weeks, everything was fine and i needed to reinstall program and from then every time i start pc my web browser program will start with http://localhost:9001/
Is there a way to disable this web interface startup?
Thanks
boss

Re: How to disable web interface

Post by boss »

It looks like there is a setting in UMS.conf
Change:
web_gui_on_start =
to
web_gui_on_start = false
pilauda

Post by pilauda »

Thanks boss, that helped
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The setting to turn off GUI on startup has been fixed for the next version and should be released soon.

That option is in Server settings>General settings>Graphical User Interface>Launch GUI in browser on startup
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
WAusJackBauer

Post by WAusJackBauer »

mik_s wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:23 pm The setting to turn off GUI on startup has been fixed for the next version and should be released soon.

That option is in Server settings>General settings>Graphical User Interface>Launch GUI in browser on startup
I wanted this disabled too and I noticed in versions 13.4.0 and 13.3.0, there is no GUI option to disable the web interface from opening on startup. It can only be disabled by manually editing the config file.

Is this a bug or intentional?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Its there for me, I'm on 13.3.0. Could you post a picture of your settings?
Clipboard Image (5).jpg
Clipboard Image (5).jpg (33.99 KiB) Viewed 19818 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
WAusJackBauer

Post by WAusJackBauer »

mik_s wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:26 am Its there for me, I'm on 13.3.0. Could you post a picture of your settings?

Clipboard Image (5).jpg
Sorry forgot to respond because I don't check this much. I'm now on the latest version at the time of this posting, I download the one from Patreon called "UMS-13.4.1.exe" and I'm using Windows 10 x64.

mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Its not in the old settings. Use the web settings to change it.
This should take you to there.
Login then click the 3 bar button in the top right. Go to Server settings>General settings>Graphical User Interface>Launch GUI in browser on startup

If for some reason you can't do that then make sure UMS is closed and edit C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf and add or change

Code: Select all

web_gui_on_start = false
WAusJackBauer

Post by WAusJackBauer »

mik_s wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:15 am Its not in the old settings. Use the web settings to change it.
This should take you to there.
Login then click the 3 bar button in the top right. Go to Server settings>General settings>Graphical User Interface>Launch GUI in browser on startup

If for some reason you can't do that then make sure UMS is closed and edit C:\ProgramData\UMS\UMS.conf and add or change

Code: Select all

web_gui_on_start = false
I don't know how to login lol. Would it be possible to add a GUI option to turn off the web interface in the old settings?

I don't remember if it was that exact config file in the path you said, but I tried editing it once and it wouldn't save.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The very first time you go to the web settings you are asked to make a login.

If you have done this before and can't remember the details, delete "C:\ProgramData\UMS\database\USERS.mv.db" and it will reset all users and will ask you to create a new one next time. (someone mentioned that you might need to delete the medias.mv.db too but I have just done the users.mv.db and it worked, but that was on an earlier version so YMMV)

There are options to disable the need for a login if on the same machine UMS is running on. I can't remember exactly what those options are and when I tried them quite a few versions ago it give me other issues at the time, but that might be fixed. I think now if there are no users it asks you whether to require login or not.

If you edit UMS.conf while UMS is still running then any changes you make will be overridden. Same goes for deleting the user database file. Make sure UMS is not running if you do this.

There is another UMS.conf file in the installation directory but this is just all the default settings and is copied to ProgramData the first time UMS is run so it can save your settings, if you edit this version then those setting will not be used. Programs do not usually have permission to alter the files in their installation directory, also you would need to give admin privileges to the text editor to save this file here.

The old settings will probably not go through any more changes.
None of the current devs have much experience with Java GUI and that was one of the reasons to create web settings, to make it easier for them to make changes and allowing them to add in missing features that you could only be done via editing the conf files yourself.
Is also make it easer to configure when running in on headless mode from another computer.