Changes to download sources

Announcements about Universal Media Server
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Changes to download sources

Post by SubJunk »

Our primary file host is now GitHub, and we are no longer releasing to FossHub or SourceForge.

Since 2018, we have been releasing new versions of UMS via FossHub (our primary source), GitHub and SourceForge, with other file hosts mirroring the releases too, including the wonderful MajorGeeks, VideoHelp, Softpedia, and others.
Before that, we had been using SourceForge since 2013, and before that we used Google Code.

There are a few reasons for this change:
  • Automatic downloading of updates was running slowly, and is much faster now in testing (please give us your feedback about this)
  • This simplifies our release process, giving us more time for development
  • Sam left FossHub :/
One big reason for using FossHub was how great Sam is! He contacted me out of the blue all those years ago and offered to host UMS, pointing out the benefits of the website. He always gave me very prompt support, even when it was just me making silly mistakes with their API, and went over and above to optimize upload and download speed for me and our users. I have rarely seen such amazing support from anyone, and I'm sure that many other people on FossHub are missing him already.

SourceForge has been very good to us over these 9 years. They have given us a lot of awards, the most memorable of which is Project of the Month twice which included interviews you can read here and here.

At the time of writing, we have had 3,584,608 downloads on FossHub and 4,040,532 downloads on SourceForge. We have been so lucky to enjoy these hosts over this time, and they have been important parts of our success and journey. Thank you to everyone involved with us from FossHub and SourceForge.
issafram

Re: Changes to download sources

Post by issafram »

You made the right move. GitHub is the correct place for the download since its generated from the build and can be tagged appropriately
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Changes to download sources

Post by SubJunk »

issafram wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:41 pm You made the right move. GitHub is the correct place for the download since its generated from the build and can be tagged appropriately
Thanks for the feedback :)