Subtitles showing as 'track numbers' and not 'language' on LG CX

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
fedeaffedaffe

Subtitles showing as 'track numbers' and not 'language' on LG CX

Post by fedeaffedaffe »

Hi.

I recently went from a Panasonic Plasma ST50 to the LG CX OLED.
On my Panasonic, the different subtitles merged in mkv files was showing as 'language', so it was easy to choose the right subtitle.
I prefer either english or danish, but with subtitles for 15+ languages it's a wild guess which is one of those when they show up as 'track numbers' instead.
Anyone have a solution?

Kind Regards
:)
mik_s

Re: Subtitles showing as 'track numbers' and not 'language' on LG CX

Post by mik_s »

If the videos are being streamed then it is up to the TV to handle the subs.
I'm assuming it is being streamed as you would not normally be able to select other subtitles when it is transcoding.
It just might be how that TV decides to display then but is not ideal if you don't know what track has the subtitle you want.

I don't think anything with UMS can change this unless you burn in the subtitle you want by transcoding, but this could cause things like seeking to not work or other annoyances where is is better to figure out what track is what.

Maybe there is an updated firmware for your TV that can fix this, or some option to set your default language if you turn on subtitles. It also could be with how those MKV files have been encoded.

To rule out UMS as a problem then you could try playing those MKVs from a USB drive and see if the TV handles them differently.
If it does start showing the languages then post your logs (see section in red above) and I'll see if I can find anything that could be causing it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
fedeaffedaffe

Re: Subtitles showing as 'track numbers' and not 'language' on LG CX

Post by fedeaffedaffe »

Thank You very much for your reply.
As You point out, I also believe it could be the TV, just wanted to know if there were some settings I might have missed in UMS.
Does feel a little, I don't know, silly way to let you choose different subtitles using track numbers. Huh? :roll:
Anyway, I'll give your suggestions a try and see where that brings me ;)
Thanks again .

Kind Regards ;)