[Solved] Some Custom Renderers Being Ignored

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
seanmc102

[Solved] Some Custom Renderers Being Ignored

Post by seanmc102 »

I just upgraded my UMS from 10.15.0 to 13.4. Some functionality in the custom renderer support seems to have been changed or broken. In my UMS environment I have a number of renderers that are the same, all Oppo BDP-93 players. To differentiate them I had custom render config files that contained their IP address data and unique name. Specifically these were stored in the C:\ProgramData\UMS\renderers folder and only contained (for example) "Device = 10.12.10.20" and "RendererName = 93 - Living Room". This made it so that I could see each device by name and not the generic "OPPO BDP" name. As a note, these older players do not have a UUID that is seen by UMS and identified that way like the later Oppo 1XX and 2XX series do.

Under 13.4, none of the custom renderer configs are used. All of these Oppo BDP-93 devices show up as "OPPO BDP". I tried moving the custom configs to the "C:\Program Files(x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers" folder and that made no difference. I tried re-saving out the custom renderer config from the default and still no joy. I also have a couple of newer Oppo 103 and 203 players on my network, which do have the UUID data, and generating new custom renderer configs for these does work. But the older ones that have no UUID and rely on the IP address data to ID them do not work.

In looking through the log file I do see that the application is reading and loading all of the custom renderer configs, whether they are in the ProgramData folder or the Program Files folder, it is just not applying them to the configs that use the IP address data, as evidenced by the way they show up in the "Detected Media Renderers" window.

Under UMS version 10.15 everything works as expected. Is this a bug in 13.4 or am I doing something wrong? Please advise.
mik_s

Re: Some Custom Renderers Being Ignored

Post by mik_s »

I wrote a reply yesterday but something happened and I was logged off and everything I wrote disappeared :cry: I'll try and remember what I said.

If the last version you ware using was 10.15 then there has been a lot of changes made under the hood related to networking, and a move away from the old java GUI to a web based one. Some things have not been transferred across and I think custom confs was one of them as they are a little used feature.

It still exists in the old GUI so should still work but may have been broken in the changes and no-one realised.
I tried to make a custom conf for my TV and it was asking to save in the main renderer folder (and would not let me change location) but UMS does not have privileges to save there so it would fail to work. Running UMS as admin would save it there but this is the wrong place as it should be saving in C:\ProgramData\UMS.

I don't know much about this feature, only that it can be used for security based on UUID instead of IP filtering, but have not used it myself besides that test and can't find any info on it anymore. I did not know that you could specify an IP instead of UUID. If this has changed then it could be a bug or was something that was forgotten.

I know that the devs are planning to add proper security settings to the web settings as it is easier to do now, and this may include options to rename renderers based on IP.

Is it possible to change the name of the Oppos in their network settings?

I'll create an issue on Github about the custom confs in the meantime as something is not working right.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
seanmc102

Post by seanmc102 »

Thank you for your reply.
mik_s wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:40 am Is it possible to change the name of the Oppos in their network settings?
The old Oppo 8X and 9X series do not have the ability to name the device in their own network settings. The later Oppo 1XX and 2XX series do have that ability. That is what lead me to use the custom renderer configs to do the naming of the Oppo 93s in the first place.

It would be great to have that functionality back as it is one of the many features of UMS that I use.

Again, thank you for your help.
seanmc102

Post by seanmc102 »

As a further note, I rolled back to earlier versions of UMS to see where the custom renderer configs was still working with the IP address identifiers and found that in version 11.6 it was still working. All versions after that seem to have lost that functionality.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

That is useful information as it will pinpoint to when the change happened.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I have a fix for you to test, please let us know if it works
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/up ... nmc102.exe
seanmc102

Post by seanmc102 »

Thank you, very much. Will post results as soon as I have tested it.
seanmc102

Post by seanmc102 »

Ok, installed the version provided and it works perfectly! Thank you very much.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: [Solved] Some Custom Renderers Being Ignored

Post by SubJunk »

Thank you for confirming :)