Complete Docker installation, and now?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
pindaroli

Re: Complete Docker installation, and now?

Post by pindaroli »

Thanks a lot to mik_s and the boss. now the question is more clear but a think more has to be specified.

Supposing to start from scratch where i can get correct SHARED.conf ed UMS.conf to put in UMS conf dir?
i did't touch SHARED.conf because i was unaware of its existence.
So i suppose that was inheriheted by docker bugged image used (universalmediaserver/ums:latest now i can has been recently uupdate)

I will fix SHARED.conf and i will start again... I will keep you alligned.

Bye
Olindo

PS to be more clear i cannot choose where ti installa UMS executable, this infos are embedded in the creation of docker image, i can only map directory in my host server with which is declared in the image. Ie:
volumes:
- '/home/olindo/seagate14t/plex:/root/media'
- '/home/olindo/UMS/.config/UMS:/root/.config/UMS'
I started from scratch e i can confirm that incorret SHARED.conf is injected by universalmediaserver/ums:latest docker images.
Who in in charge for its production?
mik_s

Re: Complete Docker installation, and now?

Post by mik_s »

You do not need to have a SHARED.conf when you install UMS. This will be created once it first runs and I'm sure it will prompt you to share folders if it does not exist.

The same goes for UMS.conf as there should be one included in the installation with all the default settings.
It may be that if you don't change anything then there will be very little in this conf.

The docker installation is done by the community providing contributions and it not managed by the devs. It could be there has been significant changes since the last version of the Docker guide that it no longer works.

Also that guide is specific to Fedora Linux. I have Linux mint on my old laptop and thought I would give it a go but it did not understand the commands as uses apt instead of dnf.
I did find a guide on installing Docker for mint here but then was stuck with installing UMS into it.
I tried copying and pasting

Code: Select all

set rootDir "/home/UMS/.config/UMS";
mkdir -p "$rootDir/data";
​
for file in "UMS.conf" "WEB.conf" "ffmpeg.webfilters"
  wget -P "$rootDir" \
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UniversalMediaServer/UniversalMediaServer/master/src/main/external-resources/$file" \
  ;
end
​
docker pull universalmediaserver/ums;
​
docker create --name UMS \
  -p 1044:1044 -p 5001:5001 -p 9001:9001 \
  -v /srv/UMS:/root/media \
  -v "$HOME/.config/UMS":/root/.config/UMS \
  universalmediaserver/ums \
;
​
docker start UMS;
in the command line but did not work, it did start doing something but also came up with errors.

I think it is meant to be a script but have no idea how to create one or run it.

I think that the wget bit is not needed anyway as those files will be created if needed.

I think your problem is very similar to this one so you might be able to help each other as both of you have much more knowledge about docker than @Boss and me.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.