13.7.0 Will Not Run

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mrdap

13.7.0 Will Not Run

Post by mrdap »

Hello,
I just upgraded to 13.7.0 and UMS will not run! And for the first time I get a web browser pop-up asking me to Log on, create ad admin account.
At this point I don't know what version I was running before.
I am still using Windows 7, which worked with the previous version.
Any ideas?
Where can I download the previous version 13.6?
Thanks
DAP
boss

Re: 13.7.0 Will Not Run

Post by boss »

You can get some older versions inc 13.6.0 here:
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Univ ... d-versions
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

The version you were using must have been V11 or earlier

The first time UMS is run since V12 on you are asked to make an admin account so you can access the web settings.
You also have the option to not require an account if you don't need it.

You can access the settings by using the button on the top right once logged in.
Clipboard Image (5).jpg
Clipboard Image (5).jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 10446 times
You can still use the old GUI by right clicking the try icon and choosing "settings (old)", this will no longer be updated with new features though and will need to use web setting for them.

I can't say for certain but UMS should still work with Win7, but if you get the login screen then it is working.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mrdap

Post by mrdap »

Hello, Thanks to all for the responses so far.
I installed version 11.6.0.
Got the familiar PC interface back.
Now UMS is running.
None of my renderers were recognized.
I realized that the only change I made to my computer was to install Avast security.
it dawned on me that this may be the problem.
I disabled Avast and alas, all is well now.
Any idea how to eliminate the conflict between Avast and UMS?

PS. I will post logs as soon as I can.

Thank you.
DAP
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

V11 may pick the incorrect network in interface if you have a VPN or some other security program. This was improved in later versions to ignore these virtual interfaces so should not happen if you use the latest version.

You can force UMS to use the correct one in the network settings but will I need to see logs (see the red section above) to be sure if this is happening or if its something else.
It could also be due to firewall rules blocking it. When UMS is installed it should set these rules up, at least in windows defender, but don't know about Avast.

I would suggest you use the latest version of UMS though. It was running properly from what you have said, just all the settings are web based now, but you can still use the old interface if you want.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
mrdap

Post by mrdap »

Okay, well here's an update.
With Avast disabled, I successfully installed Version 13.7.0 on my Windows 7 machine.
Now I am using the web-based GUI.
Everything seems to be working normally now, with one exception:
When I go into: Settings>Server Settings>General Settings>Services>Server Name
and Enable "Append Profile Name"
and then "Save"
I get the following Message:
"Save
Saving your configuration changes"
It just sits there with the blue circle spinning, but never saves.
However, I can save other things, for example my shared folders

Anyway, back to the original thread...
Now I need to de-conflict Avast and UMS Version 13.7.0.
Thanks again.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There is a saving bug in 13.7.0 but has been fixed in 13.8.0. Also the notification did not have a timeout so would not go away but not sure if that fix made it into 13.8.0.
It is not available for public release, only patreons at the moment, but should be available soon as V14 looks to be close to release. You can use the old GUI in the mean time.

As for problems with avast I can't be of much help. Just check your firewall rules to allow UMS (javaw.exe is the process name) access to the required ports.
I can't remember all of them but the main ones if you have not changed them in the settings are 5001, 9001 and 9002.

If you are only running UMS on one computer then there is no need to enable "append profile name" as you will know what computer its running on.