How to get UMS to work?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
yuppicide

How to get UMS to work?

Post by yuppicide »

I previously had my own router and cable modem. I had UMS running through my ONN 55" Roku TV. I recently moved.

Same computer is connected via wire to whatever router we have. I have an ONN 65" Roku TV which is wirelessly connected.

I am running version 13.9.0 and Windows 10. When I go into Roku Media Player it shows I need to make sure my Media Server is online.

What do I need to do?
mik_s

Re: How to get UMS to work?

Post by mik_s »

It may be on a different subnet so can't connect but don't know. Some routers don't share some traffic between wired and wireless unless the router is set up for it.
If you post your logs (see the section in red) then I will be able to see what is happening and be of more help.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

Quite some users have had this problem because of different subnets as mik_s says.
A quick way to check is to look at your TV and check what IP address it is using and look at your computer and check what IP address that is using.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

It has to do with Avast. If I disable Avast it works, so I need to figure out how to get past that. I added an exception for the UMS folder, that didn't work.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Sorry but can't help if it is due to Avast as I know nothing about it.

If it is a firewall then you will need to make sure the rules allow UMS and the ports it uses. The actual program name you might have to allow is javaw.exe as this is the java container that runs UMS.

I don't think it is a case of allowing the installation folder though as this just may be for anti virus.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
boss

Post by boss »

A search on the internet (search: universalmediaserver java avast) finds several issues like yours.
Some reported that uninstalling java and installing java again fixed the issue.
viewtopic.php?t=6133
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

I don't think it has anything to do with java or javaw.exe. I do not have Java installed on my computer. I downloaded a Java uninstall tool and it says "No Java versions were detected on your system.". But UMS still works, I just have to disable Avast first. Also, Jellyfin doesn't work either unless I disable Avast. Cannot add an exception in Avast for javaw since that folder or file doesn't exist on my computer.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

UMS uses Java and now installs a stand alone version (jre17) which is the javaw.exe program.
I don't know anything about Jellyfin but I'm guessing it uses java too and probably in the same way as UMS.

You don't add a folder for an exception for firewall rules, this will be for the anti virus scanning. Firewall rules apply to process and program names.

I did find this guide for setting up rules after a quick google. If you need to find the actual .exe file then javaw.exe is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\jre17\bin"

Failing that you will have to set up rules to allow traffic on the ports UMS uses. Off the top of my head you need 5001 for the stream server, 9001 for the web settings, and 9002 for the web player. There may be more and I can't remember and don't know what protocol they use (TCP/UDP) so you have some experimenting to do.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

EDITING: I figured it out. I'm partially to blame.

I said I wasn't using Avast firewall. It's because I checked when I had it disabled I guess. In the settings there's a setting for me to trust my network or not. I changed it to trust. It's just me here.
Last edited by yuppicide on Sun May 05, 2024 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.