Help! Is this what I'm looking for?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
sadist

Help! Is this what I'm looking for?

Post by sadist »

I have a Panasonic Viera TV. The other day, I installed TVMobili for my media server and everything works fine. But TVMobili is only free for the first 14 days. So I have to look for other alternatives. I'd also tried Plex media server, it can browse all my AVI files (not MKV), the problem is I have some MKV files that I want to watch, and even with AVI files, it will only play the first few seconds of the movie and it hangs.

So I'm happy to have found UMS, which is FREE and plays most of the video formats.

But my problem is, my TV doesn't detect UMS at all. I'm running it on my iMac and already configured the folder where my files are. Is there anything else that I have to do or I'm using a wrong app?
DeFlanko

Re: Help! Is this what I'm looking for?

Post by DeFlanko »

First off, Welcome!

You're in the right place.

You have the right app :) How UMS works with specific renderer's (TV's, blu-rays, mobile devices..etc..) is by Specific CONF files, these conf files are either built by our DEV staff or by members of the community like you! (normally by members of the community as they have the hardware to test it on... in this case a Panasonic Viera TV). But normally, out of the box install, UMS will try to work with your device.

Now before we dive into the custom configs lets go over the basics...
  • The Server or PC that your Streaming/Transcoding from is what?
    I see your using an iMac, we do have an OSX section, unfortunately i don't know if we have an OSX DEVs yet...
  • What's your Network setup like; all wired? Wireless?
  • What Media type are you trying to Stream/Transcode?
  • What Media Renderer (TV, Blu-Ray Player, iPhone, Receiver etc...) are you trying to Stream/Transcode to?
    Also, do you know from the Manufacturer's site, or your manual the media it can receive via DLNA or UPnP?