UMS 10.6-10.8.2 Stuttering videos

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

Re: UMS 10.6-10.8.2 Suuuuuuuuuuper Unstable

Post by mik_s »

Good, looks like we are on the right track. could you do new logs with those settings? In both the latest version and for 10.5 for Subjunk if possible.

Wifi should be fast enough if you are using 5Ghz but it is also possible for outside interference to slow this down even if the devices are close to the router. With the new settings UMS should do speed test so we can eliminate that as a factor. Could you could try Wired too?

I suspect the increased memory usage is part of the library scanning, the allowed memory usage was increased recently on install (2048Mb from 1024Mb I think) if the computer has it available to improve efficiency, but you can change that if you reinstall. If you have turned off the scan folders on startup option then it might not be that though.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

mik_s wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:20 am Good, looks like we are on the right track. could you do new logs with those settings? In both the latest version and for 10.5 for Subjunk if possible.

Wifi should be fast enough if you are using 5Ghz but it is also possible for outside interference to slow this down even if the devices are close to the router. With the new settings UMS should do speed test so we can eliminate that as a factor. Could you could try Wired too?

I suspect the increased memory usage is part of the library scanning, the allowed memory usage was increased recently on install (2048Mb from 1024Mb I think) if the computer has it available to improve efficiency, but you can change that if you reinstall. If you have turned off the scan folders on startup option then it might not be that though.
A couple quick things
1. This machine has 16GB of RAM, and both Windows 10 Pro x64 and UMS itself are running from a SATA SSD. The media content, however, is stored on standard SATA harddrives.
2. I have the base model OG PS4. This model does not support 5Ghz wifi. (Pretty dumb, since the base OG Xbox One DOES support 5Ghz, but I digress.) I do have a base model OG Xbox One, so I can test the 5Ghz if need be. (The only caveat will be that obviously Xbone and PS4 will have different confs as their support for media codecs is not the same.)
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I did not know that the original PS4 doesn't support 5Ghz wifi, I have a slim version and that does so I thought it was standard. So this would make the speed tests UMS does even more important as this could be part of your issue.

Testing with the Xbox could be useful, at least I will be able to see if your UMS is actually using the confs for it. I think the ones included are correct but I don't have an Xbox and know little about them.

Since you have plenty of memory in your system I would not worry about the ram usage at the moment, If UMS can use it it will but should free it up afterwards. If it was using more when you have less available then that could be an issue.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

I was going to post another set of logs, but this time after I saved them even debug.log is massive, clocking in at 602,433 KB (602MB !) It's so big I can't even open it with Notepad (freezes), and even Notepad++ refuses to open it. This seems to be a significant issue as well. The only possible reason for the log to be so massive would be possibly hashing my media library, outside of that I haven't played THAT many videos.
Today I was watching a video through UMS, it played but there were some graphical glitches through out, that eventually the video kind of froze. (The image freezes for like 10 seconds maybe, but the video is still playing as the audio continues unabated.)

I have these massive logs saved, but I'm going to go ahead and skip this test and dive right into uninstalling 1.8 and installing 1.5 again.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Yes it can get quite large if you have a large media library and UMS is scanning it. If you disable the "Scan shared folders on startup" option in shared media tab it will reduce the size. the size will also be reduced a lot if you pack the logs from within UMS.

If that does not help you could make a test directory with only a few videos in and only share that one.

Please try and post those logs as there will be no way of finding out the cause of the issue without them.
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

mik_s wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:58 pm Yes it can get quite large if you have a large media library and UMS is scanning it. If you disable the "Scan shared folders on startup" option in shared media tab it will reduce the size. the size will also be reduced a lot if you pack the logs from within UMS.

If that does not help you could make a test directory with only a few videos in and only share that one.

Please try and post those logs as there will be no way of finding out the cause of the issue without them.
That is a very good idea. I'll set up a test library folder, and for the time thing anything I go to stream, I'll stick in there.

I did re-install 1.50, but was continuing to have the same playback issues I reported in my previous post. I did try to save the logs from 1.5 but the UMS (Main panel) froze after hitting save.

Setting up a test library folder should eliminate a lot of variables, I also have utilities like mediainfo to indentify the codecs and whatnot of any problem videos, as necessary.

We'll figure this out!
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

Ok, made the test library folder so now we can work with reasonable log sizes.

Here's the first batch of logs, using UMS 1.5
Attachments
ums15_dbg_2021-08-09-23-32.zip
(992.15 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

There are a few database errors there but I think it is because of going back to an older version and the database structure may have changed slightly, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

But I do see an abnormal amount of activity for just 1 file, nearly 40 requests for Suicide Squad in under 30 seconds. And there is scanning of all the web content like podcasts, youtube channels etc that are set as an example.
Those requests are coming from your LG TV and I think it is scanning UMS for all its available media. It should only be requesting the media listing when you browse that folder yourself. I don't know why it would be doing that though.

Also looking at the speed test, it is nearly 22Mb/s for your TV and only 10Mb/s for the PS4 which is too slow for transcoding and would cause stutters/glitches. It may be that slow due to all the requests made by your TV though.

On top of that something in the configuration is still forcing to stream now instead of checking supported formats. I can't see anything in the UMS.conf file, but I can see your test folder so I know that it is the right conf.

I found out why, it is set in the LG-LA6200.conf to stream everything.

Code: Select all

StreamExtensions = asf,wmv,avi,divx,mp4,m4v,mov,3gp,3g2,mkv,ts,trp,tp,mts,m2ts,vob,mpg,mpeg,mp3,jpg,jpeg,jpe,jps,mpo
that must be a very old conf or the person who wrote it was very lazy :lol:
It could also be that it is a very similar match and is using that because there is no better one for your model.

If you are not using your TV to watch videos I wouldn't worry about it for now.
What might help is if you could disconnect your TV from the network and do some more tests and see if things are different.
You said you had an Xbox too? could you try that too?

How well did Suicide squad play on your PS4? going by the format it should have no problem playing it as it is supported.
Startropic1

Post by Startropic1 »

mik_s wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:45 pm There are a few database errors there but I think it is because of going back to an older version and the database structure may have changed slightly, so I doubt that has anything to do with it.

But I do see an abnormal amount of activity for just 1 file, nearly 40 requests for Suicide Squad in under 30 seconds. And there is scanning of all the web content like podcasts, youtube channels etc that are set as an example.
Those requests are coming from your LG TV and I think it is scanning UMS for all its available media. It should only be requesting the media listing when you browse that folder yourself. I don't know why it would be doing that though.

Also looking at the speed test, it is nearly 22Mb/s for your TV and only 10Mb/s for the PS4 which is too slow for transcoding and would cause stutters/glitches. It may be that slow due to all the requests made by your TV though.

On top of that something in the configuration is still forcing to stream now instead of checking supported formats. I can't see anything in the UMS.conf file, but I can see your test folder so I know that it is the right conf.

I found out why, it is set in the LG-LA6200.conf to stream everything.

Code: Select all

StreamExtensions = asf,wmv,avi,divx,mp4,m4v,mov,3gp,3g2,mkv,ts,trp,tp,mts,m2ts,vob,mpg,mpeg,mp3,jpg,jpeg,jpe,jps,mpo
that must be a very old conf or the person who wrote it was very lazy :lol:
It could also be that it is a very similar match and is using that because there is no better one for your model.

If you are not using your TV to watch videos I wouldn't worry about it for now.
What might help is if you could disconnect your TV from the network and do some more tests and see if things are different.
You said you had an Xbox too? could you try that too?

How well did Suicide squad play on your PS4? going by the format it should have no problem playing it as it is supported.
Can I disable the TV conf? I actually just enabled the network functions of my TV, I have never actually tried to use it for streaming so I don't even know what codecs it supports! It should be noted that the highest resolution I try to stream is 1080p.
I'll also do some Xbox tests. Any idea what the max speed is via 2.4Ghz wifi? I think the TV does support 5Ghz, but I will double check.
Edit: The TV does NOT see the 5Ghz wifi channel. This is interesting. This means the PS4 should be able to reach the speeds that the TV was getting.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I made a new conf for your TV if you want to try it but I think it is best to focus on the issues with playing on other devices instead and try to remove any impact your TV is having by removing it from the network for testing.
LG-LA.conf
(2.26 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
I did find from the manual that the max speed you TV can handle is 20Mb/s, so the speed test done by UMS is correct.

I just done a speed test on my PS4. Usually it shows over 110Mb/s for a wired connection
Over wifi I got around 50Mb/s on both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. My router is only about 1.5M away from my PS4, distance and obstacles like walls will reduce this.
I would expect you to to be getting more than 10Mb/s though unless the request spam from your TV is slowing it down.