[Solved] Some folders show empty in 10.20.0+

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
JDN165

[Solved] Some folders show empty in 10.20.0+

Post by JDN165 »

Coming from version 10.19.0 I installed version 11.0.0-a2 but noticed that some folders are empty in 11.0.0-a2, folders that are really not empty and files were always shown in UMS-10.19.0 and earlier.

These folders contain FLAC and MP3 audio files. With version 10.19.0 I was able to play all files in these folders on my Sangean WFT-3 audio player (my renderer for UMS).
I have done the following:
  • I unistalled 10.19.1 (using Windows Control Panel) and also manually deleted the UMS folders.
  • I did a clean install of 11.0.0-a2.
  • I configured UMS in the exact same way as I did with 10.19.0.
  • Once installed and running, I selected the UMS server in my Sangean WFT-3, where all shared folders (virtual folders) are displayed correctly.
  • When selecting one of the shared folders, which have subfolders (containing the audio files), I noticed that there are several folders that, when selected, return an "Empty folder" on the Sangean. Not every folder is empty, but many are.
Then I uninstalled 11.0.0-a2, manually deleted UMS folders again, reinstalled 10.19.0 and configured UMS in exactly the same way.
Again I selected the UMS server on the Sangean and now all shared folders and subfolders are listed normally with the audio files, and the files can be played as I always could.

Because nothing changes in the hardware between the upgrade, this seems to me to be a bug in the software?

Any ideas?
mik_s

Re: Some folders show empty in 11.0.0-a2

Post by mik_s »

Not sure but logs would help narrow down the problem.
Do you have the cache enabled? I remember there being a problem with empty folders if it was disabled but not sure if the fix made it into this build.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Update:

To make sure it's really a problem with 11.0.0-a2 in my case I did the upgrade process again yesterday.
So, I uninstalled 10.19.0 again, deleted everything and did a clean install of 11.0.0-a2.
And again the problem with the empty folders. I have some additional details:

Folders containing FLAC files always show as "Empty Folder" with 11.0.0-a2 on the Sangean.
Folders containing MP3 files sometimes shown as "Empty Folder", but not always. In some cases, all MP3 files in a folder will be displayed, but in other cases, only the first MP3 file or first two MP3 files will be displayed and the rest of the files will be displayed as a minus sign "-".

By the way, I disabled the cache option in both versions (I did have problems with that cache setting in the past, so I never use it).

I will upload the log files with some screenshots tomorrow.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Try turning the cache back on and see if that makes a difference.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Ok, so I repeated the upgrade process as I described in the previous steps.
Once 11.0.0-a2 had been installed, again several "empty" folders (that are not empty).
I changed the cache setting (and restarted UMS) but that didn't make any difference.

After I've started a trace log I selected a random UMS shared folder with mp3 files on the Sangean. This device responded with "No results found" (zie attached image). The log is also attached.

Then I uninstalled 11.0.0-a2 and installed 10.19.0 again. I selected the same shared mp3 folder in 10.19.0, and now the normal content of the folder was shown on the Sangean. I also attached that image.

Strange thing is that 11.0.0-a2 doesn't present all folders as empty folder. There are also folders with mp3 or flac files can be browsed and played with 11.0.0-a2 without problem.

Hope someone has an idea?
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-06-04-11-28.zip
(234.72 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
folder_with_11.0.0-a2.png
folder_with_11.0.0-a2.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
same_folder_with_10.19.0.png
same_folder_with_10.19.0.png (17.33 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I'm not sure what is causing this. The logging in v11 has changed a bit and I'm not familier with it yet to see if anything looks wrong.
I know you have restricted what renderers are able to be used as you had problems in the past but I think those issues have now been fixed and those settings may be having the opposite effect.

As well as limiting the renders the cache is still disabled and you have also got IP filtering on, I saw at least 1 IP address being denied connection in the logs. UMS should still work like this but there may be a bug somewhere, any 1 of these could be the cause so it is hard to narrow down though.

I suggest you backup all your settings (C:\ProgramData\UMS) and do a clean install with default settings and see if your media will show up on your device. If it does then you can start to change your settings back one at a time to find out which one is the cause of the problem. Once you do then post some updated logs so if it is a bug then the devs can squish it.

I would still suggest you leave the cache and automatic renderer detection on, just make sure that the .conf for the renderer is correct so it can be detected.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

I have indeed had some problems in the (recent) past, with 10.20.0. There seemed to be a bug in the cache setting, which should have been fixed in 11.0.0-a2. That's why I'm testing it.
And true: I configured several restrictions in the UMS settings such as IP whitelist, cache disabled, renderers limited to one. These restrictions are based on various experiences in the past and with these limitations UMS has worked perfectly (until 10.19.0).

Indeed, it might be a good idea to reinstall 11.0.0-2 without any restrictions in the settings and check if the problem is still there. If not, I could narrow it down by applying my restrictions one by one and checking if the problem pops up.

I will take this action and notify you.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

Update:

Ok, I have installed version 11.0.0-a2 again. I didn't change any settings and checked immediately after the installation what the "empty" folders (which are not empty) show in the music browser.
And unfortunately those folders are still empty. Some are not, but most of them are. So I don't need to narrow things down for more tests.

It's kind of weird that I'm the only one with this problem. Could it be caused by the renderer configuration file I'm using? I created the .conf file (in the renderer folder) that I use myself, as no renderer file is included in UMS for my Sangean WFT-3 dlna player. In the past I've taken the renderer file from another dlna audio player and modified it a bit (including the correct UpnpDetailsSearch name for example). But I've been using this custom renderer file for years.

Are there any more ideas?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

It could possibly be your conf but if you did a clean install it should not be using it. If for some reason it is then your old settings must still be there. You could rename C:\ProgramData\UMS to C:\ProgramData\UMS.bak when UMS is not running then next time it is started then everything should be back at default.

Even with a specific conf for your renderer you should still be able to view the files on it.
JDN165

Post by JDN165 »

I don't mean the ums.conf file in ProgramData\UMS. This file was removed before I installed 11.0.0-a2, and was new created new by this version.
No, I'm referring to the renderer files (also with .conf extension) in de \renderer subfolder. There's no such file for my Sangean, so I created myself a renderer file years ago, and it has always worked.
But I don't think this file has anything to do with the empty folders.

So, until now, it remains a mystery. Perhaps a developer can think about something that has changed in the code what might result in these "empty" folders in my case...?