Multiple audio tracks not showing

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
haihayho

Multiple audio tracks not showing

Post by haihayho »

I have some audio issues.
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-08-10-23-23.zip
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
haihayho

Re: Multiple audio tracks not showing

Post by haihayho »

I have 2 issues with the 11th version.
The first one is renderer (TV) cannot recognize UMS, and I believe many people have encountered this, but for the 11th it rarely happens. If it does, I will have to turn off the TV's wifi, then turn it on again and most of the time (not always) UMS will show up. This is not a big deal as for the 10th version, I have to deal with it every time I turn the TV on, but not anymore so if you guys don't have a fix for it yet then it's ok.
For the second one, I have never been able to see more than one (so that I can choose) audio track when there are multiple tracks in the same file. I think there are 2 ways to address it: change the settings/config in UMS, or edit the file so that there's only one audio track (the one that I want). I have 2 files to test what I mentioned.
- 2 X2 (2003).mkv - Let's call this one A. This is the original with 3 audio tracks, 1 default and 2 are commentaries by the production team.
- 2 X2 (2003) (1).mkv - Let's call this one B. This is the one I edited in mkvToolNix, so only the default audio track is available in this file.
I opened A and tried to change the settings/config in UMS, but there's only language priority, and all of them are English so there's no help here. I wonder why A is streamed without the default audio track (only 2 commentaries are showing on TV), maybe someone can explain it for me?
Then I edit and open B, all I did was uncheck the 2 commentaries and subtitles in languages I don't need, then multiplex to get B. B plays perfectly fine as I stream to my phone, but the TV doesn't recognize it, although it's "the same" mkv file. Or maybe I'm wrong.
haihayho

Post by haihayho »

An out of topic question, but seems like if I separate paragraphs with a blank line, the forum believes my message is a spam?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

From what I can see "2 X2 (2003).mkv" is being streamed so it is up to your TV sort out what audio track to play and you should have the option to chose which one you want.
"2 X2 (2003) (1).mkv" is being transcoded so UMS is choosing what it thinks is the right audio track and since it there is subtitles it is burning them in too.

The logs don't show the mediainfo any more but I think the reason why the first one works with multiple tracks except the main one when the second one is being transcoded is that the codec used for the main track is "dtshd" which you TV does not support. Since the other tracks are in a format it does support it can only play them instead.
In the second one as you have removed those extra tracks it leaves the unsupported one so UMS has to transcode.

This is one of the edge cases where it is not possible for UMS to do exactly what you want automatically as there are playable audio tracks in the file and not specified by language.
You can force UMS to transcode by try playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose the audio track/subs you want from there.
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab)
You could play the second file on your TV with the "no transcoding" option but my guess is there will be no audio or it will refuse to play.

I think the transcoding settings are wrong for your TV and that could be why the second one will play on your phone but not your TV. My parents had a similar model TV and I could not get transcoding working properly on it last year. You could try the .conf I made to see if it works any better.

Your other option it to convert the main audio track into a supported format like AC3 by manually transcoding it using something like Handbrake, or maybe you can do it with mkvToolNix.

I'm not sure about the issue of UMS not showing on your TV till you reset it's wifi. It might just be how the TV announces itself on the network, it might do it on first connection then every so often after that. There was a lot changed between V10 and V11 to do with networking so maybe this is catching more of these announcements. I don't know much about networking though.

I don't know what is going on with the forum thinking the post is spam. The spam bots don't seem to have a problem with it :lol: Maybe you are from an area that is known for spam and the forum spam checking is being triggered. Sometimes posts will be held for review by the forum that I have to allow and 99% of them have been spam but it does not do a very good job of catching the rest.
Attachments
LG-WebOS-modified.conf
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
haihayho

Post by haihayho »

Thank you very much for the in-depth reply. The situation quite pissed me off since everything was good for some time, and I thought I do not have to tinker anymore. It only happens with some "new" movie files I got recently. I just realized the cause like an hour ago, then I see your reply. I can't find the official news, but it seems like LG has dropped support for all DTS formats on all recent models.

In Transcoding Settings\Audio Settings there is an option to turn off "Keep DTS tracks" and I turned it off, but seems like UMS doesn't want to transcode DTS to something else playable (and this is the reason the new multiplexed version cannot be played because there is no playable sound on it).

I think the solution is either to find or change the DTS audio to a different format, but I don't see that option in MKVToolNix (yet?).

About the config file, I actually download your version a long time ago, and I also update it a bit, but thank you, again.