Changing metadata categories?

General discussion about Universal Media Server (no support or requests)
MikeyMike

Changing metadata categories?

Post by MikeyMike »

Hi there,

I’m new to using UMS, and I’m enjoying how simple and responsive the interface is. However, I’m using it with personal videos rather than Movies/TV shows and wanted to know if there could be an easy way to change the default media library folders (Movies,TV Shows, Music) and metadata categories (actors, country, director, genre, etc) to reflect information that could be more useful for my videos (such as equipment used to record the video, project it is linked to, etc) so that I could then manually edit the metadata in my video files so that I could use dynamic filtering to sort through these different categories. Is that something that could be done with UMS, or do you know if there is another application or media server that could be more suited to this use case?

Thanks a lot!
mik_s

Re: Changing metadata categories?

Post by mik_s »

At the moment metadata categories are not customizable but I'm sure it could be possible to implement. You could request this feature on GitHub where the devs are more likely to see it.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
MikeyMike

Post by MikeyMike »

Ok, will do! Do you happen to know if there is a way to manually change the metadata information of individual files? If so, I could use existing default metadata categories to categorize my videos (for instance use the "genre" category for different projects). Or is that metadata all directly fetched from external sources like IMDB with no way to modify it?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really do appreciate it!
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think most of the metadata comes from online sources with maybe the exception of MP3 and similar files that have have them embedded as tags, and there will be some tools to edit them but I don't know of any myself.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
angiehomes

Post by angiehomes »

it is not customised yet