mp4 Playback Quality

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
DHK

mp4 Playback Quality

Post by DHK »

I'm trying to transfer files from a Plex media system on macOS Ventura 13.1 into UMS 13.0.0.

I've been comparing playback of the exact same mp4 file in both, and find that UMS seems to be not as clear. I've attached a screen print comparing full screen print grabs in order L->R, UMS, Quicktime, and Plex.

It seems that UMS is the worst, native macOS Quicktime in the middle, and Plex is the best. Is there any way I can improve the UMS mp4 playback quality? Thanks.

Here is the trace log:
Attachments
ums_dbg_2022-12-29-13-00.zip
(865.66 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Combined.png
Combined.png (3.31 MiB) Viewed 1546 times
mik_s

Re: mp4 Playback Quality

Post by mik_s »

I think this is because UMS is transcoding those MP4s instead of streaming them so, and may not be using the best options so the quality is reduced.

There is nothing special about those MP4s so they should be streamed unaltered.

This may be caused by the Invalid value "30" error as there is a lot of them in the logs and I don't see the usual decision making on whether files should be transcoded or streamed.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
DHK

Post by DHK »

@mik_s As a techie, but nooby to UMS, is there a config file I can change to have the mp4 streamed? Thanks
boss

Post by boss »

Cannot you choose the TRANSCODING folder then choose play with no transcoding and then check the quality.
DHK

Post by DHK »

I tried that, but it looked the same. Isn't there a way to tell UMS directly to stream?
boss

Post by boss »

As far as I know, that should make the playback stream.

You could try this in your renderer.conf file:
StreamExtensions = mp4

and take out the line:
Supported = f:mp4 .........................................................
DHK

Post by DHK »

Any idea where this is found on macOS???
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

You can force it to not transcode by playing from the #--TRANSCODE--# folder and choose "No transcoding"
(if you do not see it, enable "show the #--Transcode--# folder" in the GUI on the navigation tab, in the web GUI it is in the "virtual folders/files" section)

I would say it's best to not alter your conf yet till you know why it is transcoding. If you force streaming of all MP4s then if your device does not support a codec like h265, UMS will just stream it and it won't play.

I don't use a Mac so can't tell you where the confs are stored, on windows they are located in the renderers folder in the installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Universal Media Server\renderers)
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
DHK

Post by DHK »

@mik_s I tried the ##Transcoding# folder and there was no improvement in quality with "No Transcoding". I also tried it on Google Chrome, and there was no change. As an experiment I can try tomorrow (2023 will come in 2 minutes now) to load UMS on a Windows 11 Arm virtual machine I can run on my mac and see what happens there. I'll post the results.
DHK

Post by DHK »

I've finally gotten to setup UMS in a Parallels Virtual Windows 11 ARM client, and the quality of the playback is the same degraded quality I get on UMS directly on the Mac, and nowhere as clean as a direct playback from macOS Quicktime. How can I set this to streaming?