mp4 Playback Quality

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mik_s

Re: mp4 Playback Quality

Post by mik_s »

I still don't know what you mean by wrapping.

If the video is streamed then UMS is not changing anything and sending the file unaltered which includes all the audio tracks, subtitles, chapter info etc. UMS does not tell VLC or Quicktime to play in a certain format, it is down to the player. I don't think Quicktime uses DLNA though, there is no conf for it, so probably won't work with UMS. I'm sure its just a standalone media player.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
DHK

Post by DHK »

@mik_S: Sorry I'm not making myself clear. For some reason UMS is not playing mp4 as clearly as VLC does. I'd like to either:

1) Make an mp4 stream directly so it is clear, or

2) I'd like to be able to click on an mp4 or mov video in UMS and have it automatically start up VLC to play that video.

Are either of these options possible?
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I still don't know what you mean. You don't click a file in UMS to play. You load your player (VLC) and connect to UMS over the network and select the files there. As long as the conf is correct, and it should be for VLC, then UMS will stream nearly all formats of video unaltered.
Logs are important for us to help, Please follow This Link before asking for support. Just a forum cleaner, Will help if I can but no expert.
DHK

Post by DHK »

I'm sorry I'm not communicating properly.

Here's what I did.
1) Started up VLC on my iMac.
2) Went to Firefox and entered the network address for the UMS server and logged in.
3) Clicked on the folder that held the video I wanted to watch and clicked on that video.
4) Clicked play

Is this what I should do?

Or should it be:
3) Click on the folder that held the video I wanted to watch and click on #--Transcode--#
4) Click on the video that says (Audio AAC-LC) [VLC Video]
5) Click Play.

Thanks.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I think you are misunderstanding the way UMS works.

I don't use VLC or a Mac so I'm guessing some of this

You should run VLC, open file, browse network and UMS should show up (I'm not entirely sure about this so mess around) then you can browse the media you are sharing on the computer that is running UMS then select one and it will play.

Firefox or any other browser is not needed.

This way you are using VLC as the renderer which can play most things instead of the browser which is only playing in one specific format.
rhayy

Post by rhayy »

Using VLC, click on the "start playlist" button then select "Universal Plug N Play" in the left menu.
You server should appear with the name you have set.
vlc ums.png
vlc ums.png (118.17 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

Thanks @rhayy I was not sure about how UMS works in VLC, just knew that it could. That screenshot helps a lot.
mik_s

Post by mik_s »

I had a good play in the web player looking for problems and noticed the player has a quality option.
Clipboard Image.jpg
Clipboard Image.jpg (8.31 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

It should be on auto to pick the best option available but it may not be using the highest setting for some reason.
You could try changing this and see if that makes any difference.